Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

ATN night vision scope

I have been doing some research for a while on affordable(to me) night vision scopes. Today I bought a ATN X sight HD 3-14 for coyote hunting. I got the HD IR light and the battery pack with it. Does anyone have any tips or advice about this setup from experience?
    And before anyone says I should have bought a thermal scope, that will be my next purchase down the road.
    Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Other than most ATN products are crap, no, nothing.(This as a former ATN dealer)

User Info Menu

Return it and get a Photon.

User Info Menu

Former ATN dealer here as well. They are junk.

Specifically on the one you bought, I ended up selling the last I had well below dealer cost with the stipulation no returns because they are junk. I'm on a phone, but you can look up my classifieds add stating the issues.

The time for research like this is pre purchase, not post purchase.
    Last edited by 42769vette; 02-09-2019 at 10:42.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

User Info Menu

Plinker

User Info Menu

How did I miss this one. Live and learn. Thanks Rookie.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Soooo what you guys are telling me I made a big mistake and bought a paper weight. I should have asked the question before I bought it. Thanks for the input.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Edit

Quote Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
    Soooo what you guys are telling me I made a big mistake and bought a paper weight. I should have asked the question before I bought it. Thanks for the input.
    i wouldnít say big mistake as itís better than using a red light. Just like the x sight before the 4x I think they had a lot of software issues but they will surely get a handle on it sooner or later and you can update it. If your gonna continue to use NV then go ahead and get a good IR light to go with it. Iíve never personally used one but you have it so may as well try it out and make your own opinion as it may fine for your needs. If you donít like it someone will buy it. Do your homework before getting your wallet out next time although in this game probably means spending more money!

Sorry thought i had read you got the x4. A guy I know has the x sight and said the newest update was good.
    Last edited by Blakec221; 02-10-2019 at 02:14. Reason: Miss read

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
    I have been doing some research for a while on affordable(to me) night vision scopes. Today I bought a ATN X sight HD 3-14 for coyote hunting. I got the HD IR light and the battery pack with it. Does anyone have any tips or advice about this setup from experience?
    And before anyone says I should have bought a thermal scope, that will be my next purchase down the road.
    Thanks in advance.
    I've got the earlier version and it works fine. I've never had a problem with it. I'm sure the newer model is better. One thing I did was to get a better IR illuminator. The thing works very well, especially on a night with a bright moon, but with the IR, it does fine on a moonless night. It is really only good hunting from a stand, though. What I like about it is that you are able to easily sight it in during the day. You aren't going to take 400 yard shots with it, but I think it is easy to make shots out in the 100 to 150 yard range or so, which is fine for a stand at night, but not great in the day time. If it functions properly, which mine always has, it will open the door for you until you decide you can afford something better. The other side is that you try it and if you decide night hunting isn't your thing, you haven't mortgaged your house for it.

Also, I LOVE that with the wifi, I can take a tablet or phone and give it to one of my boys and they can see what I'm seeing with the scope. That feature works very well and they love it.

I've since bought a FLIR thermal sight, which is light years better, BUT cost a helluva lot more. At the time I bought the ATN, I didn't have the budget for something more. I've thought about selling the ATN, but I've hung onto it for when I hunt with a buddy.

I hear all this stuff about them being junk, and maybe they are, but they sure sell a bunch of these things and they've been around a long time. I'd think if everybody was dissatisfied or they broke all the time, that company would have been sunk a long time ago. Mine works just fine. I'd love to see how much the new one has improved.

That's all just my humble opinion based on a sample of 1, but it does everything it was advertised to do.

Oh yeah, take plenty of batteries. Unless they've improved that, too, mine sucks batteries. I just take a couple extra sets. No biggie.
    Last edited by Principal Skinr; 02-10-2019 at 08:26.
    "God will have the last word, and it will be good!" --Dr. Robert H. Schuller

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Principal Skinr View Post
    I've got the earlier version and it works fine. I've never had a problem with it. I'm sure the newer model is better. One thing I did was to get a better IR illuminator. The thing works very well, especially on a night with a bright moon, but with the IR, it does fine on a moonless night. It is really only good hunting from a stand, though. What I like about it is that you are able to easily sight it in during the day. You aren't going to take 400 yard shots with it, but I think it is easy to make shots out in the 100 to 150 yard range or so, which is fine for a stand at night, but not great in the day time. If it functions properly, which mine always has, it will open the door for you until you decide you can afford something better. The other side is that you try it and if you decide night hunting isn't your thing, you haven't mortgaged your house for it.

Also, I LOVE that with the wifi, I can take a tablet or phone and give it to one of my boys and they can see what I'm seeing with the scope. That feature works very well and they love it.

I've since bought a FLIR thermal sight, which is light years better, BUT cost a helluva lot more. At the time I bought the ATN, I didn't have the budget for something more. I've thought about selling the ATN, but I've hung onto it for when I hunt with a buddy.

I hear all this stuff about them being junk, and maybe they are, but they sure sell a bunch of these things and they've been around a long time. I'd think if everybody was dissatisfied or they broke all the time, that company would have been sunk a long time ago. Mine works just fine. I'd love to see how much the new one has improved.

That's all just my humble opinion based on a sample of 1, but it does everything it was advertised to do.

Oh yeah, take plenty of batteries. Unless they've improved that, too, mine sucks batteries. I just take a couple extra sets. No biggie.
    Thanks for this input. I did get a upgrade on the IR and a external battery pack. As I said in my original post, I did do a lot of research before I bought it. I saw mixed reviews but the majority said they liked it. Thought I would give it a try and if I didn't like it I wasn't out much.
    I think my next purchase will be a thermal. I saw a video last night of a friends coyote hunt with his thermal scope and it was awesome. I would love to have one like his but he paid over 8 grand for it. Maybe sometime soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast