• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    I hunt in KY and I’m thinking about building an AR Pistol for next season. I only bow hunt right now and all my shots will be within 60 yards. Most 15-20 yards.

I’m thinking around a 10” barrel.

Should I go with 300BLK, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39?

What say you?

I have AR’s in 6.5 Grendel and 556 now.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    .300 BO.

You have better selection of ammo than 7.62. And with the short barrel, I think you'd loose some performance from the 6.5.

The 300 is optimized for a short barrel.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I went with .300 through a 7.5" barrel. A couple posts about it in this section already, it is sitting and waiting for deer season to roll back around. So don't have any real world experience yet.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I just tested out my 10.5" 300 yesterday after building it. I plan on having it ready for next deer season. I went with 300 because I had heard great things from everyone who started shooting these when they were legalized for deer.

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    Thanks guys!!! 300 it is. I’m looking online and PSA has pistol kits for around $300. I’ve got a few lowers at home, so I’m going to order one.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    You will be satisfied with 300 blk. I have now killed 5 deer with my 300 blk and the barnes 110 tac-tx. Mine is an 8.5" barreled pistol. Having hunted so many years with 12ga, the performance on deer took/takes a little getting used to for me. I have had two heart shots, 2 lung shots, and one gut/diaphragm shot. The heart shots both made it about 40 yards, the lung shots about 60, and the gut shot only about 30. I just wasn't used to hitting deer and not having them be OBVIOUSLY hit. I was pretty used to DRT shots on deer with my 12 gauge or at least a deer that struggles to stumble 20 yards... but that was using Win XP3 300 grain slugs at 2000 FPS in my 12 gauge versus the 110 grain barnes moving around the same velocity. That is not a negative, they were all fatal shots, just different. I tried 300 WSM this year and it was back to DRT.

The AR pistol is a lot more comfortable to carry and have in the blind or stand all day. The scope on my AR is way better and the versatility of picatinny rail is undeniable. My only real complaint about the AR and it probably relates back to growing up hunting with shotguns was that it doesn't point as naturally for me. I felt like I could get up and looking down my shotgun at a target faster and with more stability, but to be fair that is likely from more practice.

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    Thanks guys!!! 300 it is. I’m looking online and PSA has pistol kits for around $300. I’ve got a few lowers at home, so I’m going to order one.

PSA 300 will get the job done. I threw one together last fall but havnt brought it to the woods yet. I plan on playing with it a little this spring/summer. Mine is a 10” as they say the 300 burns all its powder in 9”. Also I’m running suppressed. Looking forward to getting it in shape for next deer season

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Hoping my daughter takes her first deer on public land this year with her field pod and the .300...... or should she use the same gun I used on private land.. .243 ?:dunno: was planning on giving my property a break this year but would love for her to use the same gun I did.. sorry to hijack thinking outloud

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Another for 300. Have a 8.5" Hardened Arms upper on a pistol lower. Took a deer this past season using handloaded 110gr v-max rounds. I'll probably switch to the Tac-x like some others are running.
    If you haven't picked up an upper yet, it might be worth building one. If I were to do it again, I'd personally buy an Anderson upper and lower, pick up a nice barrel from a quality company, then throw on a cheap handguard and call it good.
    If you don't have the propensity to build your own gun, then by all means buy a fully built upper. However, you could potentially blend some cheaper hardware with a better barrel and end up with a better shooting gun. There's a good chance I'm swapping barrels on mine in the next year or so.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I hope to harvest a deer this year using my 8.5" .300BO in SBR form. I hunt out of state but could toss that upper on a pistol lower I have if needed. Landowner wasn't convinced about .300 BO and is a .30-30 man or larger for deer in the sub 100 yard shot range so I wasn't allowed to use it the last 2 years. But after showing him some videos of wound channels and letting him shoot it over thanksgiving at 75 yards and seeing the accuracy with handloaded 135FTX (and some 220 subs just for fun), he's agreed to let me use it this year. As a bonus, the silencer will get used. I think you'll be happy with your .300 BO choice and the 110 GMX or Tac-TX bullets. I'll be changing to solid copper in one of those manufacturers.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Another vote here for a 300BO with the 110 Gr. Barnes. I have a 10 1/2” pistol. I have shot two deer both at 60 yards, both DRT with lung shots. If you are on a tight budget, check out the Radical Firearms upper through Primary Arms. Appears to be out of stock right now but can generally be had for $179. I am very happy with mine.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Haven’t shot a deer yet, but got my load development done and can get easy hit 2-3 MOA hits out to 200 yards from a 9” barrel 300 BLK Pistol with 110gr Barnes tax-tx over Lilgun. With any random ammo, I wouldt take even a 100 yard shot though. It’s barely 5 MOA at 100 without my tuned loads.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Haven’t shot a deer yet, but got my load development done and can get easy hit 2-3 MOA hits out to 200 yards from a 9” barrel 300 BLK Pistol with 110gr Barnes tax-tx over Lilgun. With any random ammo, I wouldt take even a 100 yard shot though. It’s barely 5 MOA at 100 without my tuned loads.

Glad to hear that. I am planning on using the same combo for hunting. What kind of velocity are you getting?

Top Bottom