• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    I was thinking of turkey hunting this year. I was wondering if there is any decent public hunting land in southern Indiana for turkey. Where i currently hunt is great for deer and squirrels but that’s about it.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    There are thousands of acres of Hoosier National forest in Southern IN, most of which have some turkeys calling it home. There are maps available at the forest office (I believe) to show which areas are open to public. I used to hunt state property around Patoka lake and the French Lick area. There are tons of turkeys down there

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    There are thousands of acres of Hoosier National forest in Southern IN, most of which have some turkeys calling it home. There are maps available at the forest office (I believe) to show which areas are open to public. I used to hunt state property around Patoka lake and the French Lick area. There are tons of turkeys down there

Thank you.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I was thinking of turkey hunting this year. I was wondering if there is any decent public hunting land in southern Indiana for turkey. Where i currently hunt is great for deer and squirrels but that’s about it.

If it's good enough for those two, it is good enough for turkeys as well...

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    If it's good enough for those two, it is good enough for turkeys as well...

I don’t know about that. I guess in southern Indiana that may be true but if you get much north of me it seems to be fewer the turkey I’m guessing because it gets pretty flat.

Try knocking on some doors. You’ll find some people are more receptive to turkey hunters as some deer hunters don’t get out for spring turkey. I turkey hunt places where I know darn well asking to hunt deer would result in a minor arse chewin.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wheezy50 is spot on, find an area in the HNF and do a little scouting, you'll find turkeys.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Start doing you scouting now. Look for sign. As it gets close to season be at the location before sunrise and then listen for the gobbling and fly down sounds to figure where you need to be opening morning. Just an FYI, this has never worked for me, but this is what the experts say.

Rhinestone Pete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    Definitely Hoosier Nat'l Forest is loaded with turkey. I have a weekend getaway down in Brown/Jackson Counties and see them nearly every weekend I go down year round. Several times I've almost had them run into me while driving or vice versa. I have a food plot and supplemental feeders for the deer in off season and the turkey won't stay out. They will decimate my food plot after sowing seeds in the Spring and Fall. The electric fence doesn't phase them, they just run through it or fly over top.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I've managed to get a Turkey every year for a while now at Morgan monroe. Last year I wasn't able to hunt but my buddy managed to take one pretty early in the season. Good luck it's very addicting. Dan

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Last time I hunted Morgan Monroe I had two toms talking back to me. The problem was their calling to me caused another hunter to zero in on them. He let out with some not so realistic yelps on a box call and the toms headed for the hills. I turned around and went home.

HarleyMason

Marksman
    Rating - 92.6%
    25   2   0
    Mar 7, 2019
    Roanoke
    Lots of room in Brown County. Be prepared to listen, hike up a hill, listen, hike down a hill, repeat. Good luck, I’ll be in FL in 2 weeks trying to complete my grand slam. And +1 on it being addictive.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Public land, the goofs can scare birds away from your setup.
    They can also scare them away from other areas and push them to you.
    Just the way it is.
    Adapt or pout, it's up to you.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Last time I hunted Morgan Monroe I had two toms talking back to me. The problem was their calling to me caused another hunter to zero in on them. He let out with some not so realistic yelps on a box call and the toms headed for the hills. I turned around and went home.

You probably had three hunters around you ;)

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Today I got the email from DNR that I struck out on the Jasper-Pulaski reserved draw. Pretty bummed. I was hoping for my first turkey hunt this year.

Top Bottom