Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spring Turkey

User Info Menu

Spring Turkey

I was thinking of turkey hunting this year. I was wondering if there is any decent public hunting land in southern Indiana for turkey. Where i currently hunt is great for deer and squirrels but thatís about it.

User Info Menu

There are thousands of acres of Hoosier National forest in Southern IN, most of which have some turkeys calling it home. There are maps available at the forest office (I believe) to show which areas are open to public. I used to hunt state property around Patoka lake and the French Lick area. There are tons of turkeys down there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wheezy50 View Post
    There are thousands of acres of Hoosier National forest in Southern IN, most of which have some turkeys calling it home. There are maps available at the forest office (I believe) to show which areas are open to public. I used to hunt state property around Patoka lake and the French Lick area. There are tons of turkeys down there
    Thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs226 View Post
    I was thinking of turkey hunting this year. I was wondering if there is any decent public hunting land in southern Indiana for turkey. Where i currently hunt is great for deer and squirrels but thatís about it.
    If it's good enough for those two, it is good enough for turkeys as well...
    Trevor | NRA Life Member

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    If it's good enough for those two, it is good enough for turkeys as well...
    I donít know about that. I guess in southern Indiana that may be true but if you get much north of me it seems to be fewer the turkey Iím guessing because it gets pretty flat.

Try knocking on some doors. Youíll find some people are more receptive to turkey hunters as some deer hunters donít get out for spring turkey. I turkey hunt places where I know darn well asking to hunt deer would result in a minor arse chewin.

User Info Menu

Wheezy50 is spot on, find an area in the HNF and do a little scouting, you'll find turkeys.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Start doing you scouting now. Look for sign. As it gets close to season be at the location before sunrise and then listen for the gobbling and fly down sounds to figure where you need to be opening morning. Just an FYI, this has never worked for me, but this is what the experts say.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If you buy your turkey license you can put in for the reserved hunts right now.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Definitely Hoosier Nat'l Forest is loaded with turkey. I have a weekend getaway down in Brown/Jackson Counties and see them nearly every weekend I go down year round. Several times I've almost had them run into me while driving or vice versa. I have a food plot and supplemental feeders for the deer in off season and the turkey won't stay out. They will decimate my food plot after sowing seeds in the Spring and Fall. The electric fence doesn't phase them, they just run through it or fly over top.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I've managed to get a Turkey every year for a while now at Morgan monroe. Last year I wasn't able to hunt but my buddy managed to take one pretty early in the season. Good luck it's very addicting. Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast