• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm just north of Franklin county. I didnt read the article, but they said the same thing last year and it never happened. I think they have said it for 2 years, but I'm not sure

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I live in North Dearborn county (next to Franklin) and the DNR has been ridiculous on trying to create a diseased deer crisis in this area. They collected over 2500 samples from deer during the 2017 season and found zero infected deer. It was supposed to be done and proven then. I usually support the DNR but in this case it seems they are trying to ruin hunting in Franklin County and I don't understand why.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I'd be interested in the shooting position.

Then you are part of the problem. Anyone who wants to trespass on someone else's land in the name of the State and to ruin future hunting opportunities for that land owner just to get a thrill of the kill is a problem.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Hope I'm not duplicating a thread but found this article in the Brookville Democrat paper. Franklin county was subject of study impacting local deer population. Not so sure this is a good idea based on findings so far. Are they overreacting?

Brookville American-Democrat
    I'm not sure they're overreacting or not . It's kind of a double edged sword . If they don't do it and find out in a year a two that there is larger problem , then everyone will be saying they should have done more .

I own a large tract of ground just outside of the 1.5 mile radius , by maybe a mile . I can tell you without a doubt , deer numbers are WAY down here . This was toughest season we have ever had . I think it was due to the large number of deer taken by hunters to help the DNR during the surveillance and I was one of them . Instead of spreading our hunting out on other properties , we focused our time inside the 5 mile radius that was setup at that time .

I think this time the focus is in a small area , that had a positive test for TB in a whitetail and cattle . I also think they found it in a raccoon on that same farm as well . The sharpshooters will have tremendous effect on the population in that area , which is going to suck for the hunters . But if they don't do it and have issues on a larger scale , it will impact a much larger area .

I hope everything goes well and we get a good bill of health , so we can get back to hunting as usual .

Top Bottom