• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Pulled my camera cards the other day. Scrolling through the images, I have two of a large person walking past one of my cameras at about 2115. Moved the cameras around to try to get a better shot in the future. A few coon hunters in my area, but this pisses me off. No, I have not purple painted my property yet.

Last edited:

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Pulled my camera cards the other day. Scrolling through the images, I have two of a large person walking pas on of my cameras at about 2115. Moved the cameras around to try to get a better shot in the future. A few coin hunters in my area, but this pisses me off. No, I have not purple painted my property yet.
    I keep coins off of my property-no coins,no coin hunters. A bit of work,but beats being pissed off,plus wife uses coins to buy things!

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    2115, is that 915 at night? If so did the camera flash? You have to be pretty crazy trespassing at night. Was he carrying anything?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Night trespassers are getting more common with electronic navigation, even in the wild areas where I live. This guy was part of a group that were hunting ginseng, all had smart phones and lights.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't wear black socks and sandals. Yes, I use my metal detector. Yes, I find all kinds of stuff. Some worthy / some junk. I also use dowsing rods to locate pipes and water sources for people.

Skull, set up trip wires with 12ga blanks. That ought to keep them off of your property.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't wear black socks and sandals. Yes, I use my metal detector. Yes, I find all kinds of stuff. Some worthy / some junk. I also use dowsing rods to locate pipes and water sources for people.

Skull, set up trip wires with 12ga blanks. That ought to keep them off of your property.

I have a very cheap White metal detector that I planning on giving a good workout this spring.
    Never had a decent place to search before.
    Now I have 50 acres, and 1800 feet of the raised berm that was the tow-path for the old Wabash-Erie canal.

I'm hoping to come up with some interesting finds.
    I can only imagine what people might have dropped into the canal over the decades it was in use...

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Coon hunters have been an ongoing problem on our farm. Their latest tactic has been to claim they are just retrieving their dogs. If I don't catch them in the act, they just continue to hunt. Just makes me mad as hell, there is really nothing I can do about it. I guess they do have a right to retrieve their dog but, I know its bull**** when they make that claim. Seems there should be a way to close that loophole.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hey here's a thought, Coons are a liability, Get some coon hunters who you trust and let them kill the dam coons and they will run off other trespassers while they are there.

Were passing through while financially we may own some land we do not "possess" the land. Share what you have worked for and you might find out that you have a friend that will take care of your land between 12am and 6am. Kill some vermin, Save your chickens.

It's ok to say no deer hunters if you deer hunt, It's ok to say nobody can walk on my land, Sometime it reminds me of the kid in the sandbox with all the tonka trucks that won't let someone else play with them.

I encourage the right kind of people to trap and coon hunt on my land, And instead of worry I get reports from my FRIENDS about what was going on at 3am.

We don't let people deer hunt because we deer hunt but especially someone with a young hunter we always let them squirrel hunt and such. According to our trail camera's The animals adapt and are back in an hour when the coon hunters come through.

That's my 2 cents,

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Coon hunters have been an ongoing problem on our farm. Their latest tactic has been to claim they are just retrieving their dogs. If I don't catch them in the act, they just continue to hunt. Just makes me mad as hell, there is really nothing I can do about it. I guess they do have a right to retrieve their dog but, I know its bull**** when they make that claim. Seems there should be a way to close that loophole.

Your land, your rules. If they can't control their animals that's their problem. No Trespassing means NO TRESPASSING! They have no right to do anything on your land that you don't give them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Your land, your rules. If they can't control their animals that's their problem. No Trespassing means NO TRESPASSING! They have no right to do anything on your land that you don't give them.

Exactly. It is something that can reach critical mass very quickly but respect the land owners rules and yes, it is "YOUR" land. Financially and past that. JMHO.

When we hunted the family farm and surrounding areas we had the permissions to do so. We knew what where and how much was allowed. That is how we were raised. It worked very well for us and those that allowed us access. Coon hunters can be a serious pain in the butt. My Great gandad and grandad would shoot the dogs and the hunters knew full well that could and would happen. It is not a free range world anymore. Never really was. Passing through on a nature walk is one thing.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    For me and my family on our land we do not want the liability if someone gets hurt. I have been in a lawsuit that cost me a lot of money, stress and time lost and I will do my best to minimize future issues. And yes we do allow one person to only hunt deer.

Or if one of the neighbors buildings has a bullet hole in it and blames it on coming from our place. If someone is trespassing that makes me think they do not care and that makes me uncomfortable. It seems every year I have coon/rabbit hunters that think they can hunt without permission.

chuck

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK, explain to this now city-fied boy why people feel the need to hunt raccoons, let alone trespass to do so? Is the pelt actually worth something?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    OK, explain to this now city-fied boy why people feel the need to hunt raccoons, let alone trespass to do so? Is the pelt actually worth something?

The pelts are worth something but not much in most years. Varmint control is one reason but most either just enjoy working with the hounds or compete in formal competitions. Neither the coons nor dogs can read No Trespassing signs and some coons run surprising distances before allowing themselves to be treed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom