• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Leaving Friday for my annual snow goose hunt. This year I'm going to Keyesport Illinois to hunt with "south central snow's". To be honest I haven't been overly pumped about the trip until today. I have to book 9 months in advance for scheduling, and when I booked I had no clue it would be such a bad year for snow's. Today my outfitter posted a video of probably 300k birds over there setup on Facebook, so I'm pumped now. Hopefully this is the year I hit it for a ton, but the weather forecast is far from perfect. That said, birds in the area is a start.

Birds or no birds, it will be a fun weekend.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I made several trips to NW Missouri for spring snows in the early 2000's. We had some good hunts but never managed to hit the timing right for that 100+ bird day snow goose hunters dream of. I quit going because when booking a trip 6 months out, you never knew what the weather and the migration would be like.

I enjoyed every hunt hunt and I still consider going back sometime. Seeing geese in numbers like that is truly an amazing sight.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I made several trips to NW Missouri for spring snows in the early 2000's. We had some good hunts but never managed to hit the timing right for that 100+ bird day snow goose hunters dream of. I quit going because when booking a trip 6 months out, you never knew what the weather and the migration would be like.

I enjoyed every hunt hunt and I still consider going back sometime. Seeing geese in numbers like that is truly an amazing sight.

Most people now book a week in advance, but like I said my schedule doesnt allow for that. Last year we saw 13 birds in a weekend, and killed 11, so it went be hard to top that.

I go with a group on Vortex employees that I one get to hang out with (outside of shows) a couple times a year, so birds or no birds, fun will be had.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Now that I'm in a position where I'm able to book a short notice trip, I do want to go again. It will probably be 2 or 3 years before I can do it but I still would love to get under some big flocks again.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I went last week to keysport. Just a one day trip, we killed 13, that was 11 guys. Birds seemed spooky.

Neat to see thousands of migrating birds.

Did you hunt with south central snows? On Monday they had a hell of a show.

This year something like 90% of the juveniles died. Juveniles is what you normally kill because they are young and dumb. Since they all died, this year folks are trying to trick birds who have done this migration thing a few times, and are a little more wary.

Top Bottom