What's your hiking / backpack backup gun, if any?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm heading back to Alaska for the 3rd year in a row & will be doing some more hiking through Anchorage, Fairbanks, Wasilla, Kenia, Juneau...

My primary, don't get eaten by a 4 legged critter, firearm is a S&W 629 44 Mag in a leather chest rig. Protection from 4 legged critters is covered. However, there are lots of 2 legged critters in town and on back woods trails.
    I carried a 2nd firearm last year and it was a real pain. It was a Shockwave loaded with bear slugs. WAY too heavy. Neither weapon was good for in-town carry so I was often unarmed.

I'm curious what others might carry as a secondary (if any) when hiking / back packing.

Do you go super light? I do have an LCR 327 Mag & a 22 WMR PMR-30.
    Compact & concealable? S&W Sheild?
    Regular sized and just man up and carry the extra weight? G19 sized loaded with hardcast?
    Something that can also be effective on 4 legged critters too? Hardcast .40 S&W or .45?

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Based upon your needs I would look at a Glock 20 or 29. It would likely be adequate as a solo and primary carry with ammo being the limiting factor.
    I have not been to AK however that gun is absolutely what I would want if I was not hauling a shotgun or rifle.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It is rare that we backpack where there are large dangerous 4-legged animals. So lightweight, small (but not too small for my hands) and something I practice with are most important. Kahr CW9 with 124 grain Golden Sabers.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Don't go tempting me with another caliber! :):

Not really wanting to buy another pistol right now. I have plenty of non 10mm pistols to pick from as a secondary.
    Besides, the Glock 10mm has a pretty big grip. Try holding that sucker with gloves.
    I know there's a Colt Delta Elite in the classifieds here too. Stop it! Stop tempting me! :):

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A friend of mine used to live on Kodiak Island (he's a Coastie)

He told me that most folks out that way toted .357s as their handgun of choice while out and about the woods.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I also hike with a .44 on my chest. The only time that I've carried a second gun, it was a micro .380 in my pocket. But I typically just stick with the 329PD on my chest and call that good.

I hate carrying extra weight while hiking, so I don't want to carry two handguns. Especially not if one of them is a 629.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    This past year I hiked with a 9mm shield loaded with Buffalo Bore hard casts for 4 legged creatures in CO (just my regular personal protection rounds when training in IN). That was mounted on my pack waist strap. I'm planning to upgrade to .357 or .44 on my chest before I go back into bear country.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've never hiked in Griz country, but I have done a few trips in Black Bear country. My 9mm shield has been with me on every backpacking trip I've taken, except for my AT trip.

On most of my hiking trips, in Southern Indiana and Kentucky, I need to watch out for two-legged critters, more than four-legged ones. I've seen all kinds of sketchy sorts at the trail-head parking areas.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Interesting comments. So the only secondary gun mentioned yet is a pocket 380. My LCR .327 is super light and sounds like a good secondary hiking gun to me.

A 629 is plenty of gun for just about anything, 2 or 4 legs, but has limited capacity & is really too big for comfortable in town carry. Anchorage is turning into a liberal yuppy / hippy / weed smoking / homeless person town unfortunately & a chest mounted 629 would draw too much unwanted attention imo. I'll take a 3rd pistol for in town activities & leave the two revolvers locked in the hotel room safe.

Thanks for the comments so far.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't know how effective 10mm loads are against big critters, but I shot a buddies G20 last year and was shocked at how similar it was to shooting a G19. I also hit small steel every shot at a reasonable fast pace.

I'd think about the G20 and a G43 BUG.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    A 629 is plenty of gun for just about anything, 2 or 4 legs, but has limited capacity & is really too big for comfortable in town carry. Anchorage is turning into a liberal yuppy / hippy / weed smoking / homeless person town unfortunately & a chest mounted 629 would draw too much unwanted attention imo.

How are you carrying the 629 on your chest?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I haven't hiked in Alaska, but I'm usually carrying a .357 when I'm hiking. GP100 6" if I'm not worried about weight; 327PC 2" if I am.

Lately, though, I've been unarmed on a lot of hikes, but all my buddies are carrying M4s.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hop, what length is the barrel on that 629? I have a 586 4" barrel and if was going to be in the woods and in town, I would wear it on my hip in my Tucker leather holster. Rides tight to my hip and I doubt people would even notice it if I was in those areas. I would have at least one layer over it anyway.

And, how much time are you in town vs in the woods?

If carrying it is just not gonna happen, I would take the 19 if you have one.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This is another work trip with some free time built in. I'd rather not risk leaving a limited edition 629 in the rental care when working.

3" 629 in a chest rig. 6 more rounds on the shoulder strap. I don't have a belt holster for it. The .327 can ride AIWB or mounted onto my pack if I go that route.

I'm thinking taking a 3rd gun isn't a bad idea now. They should all fit into my TSA approved lockable hard case.
    I use G-code RTI quick mounts on my belts so attaching any of my OWB kydex holsters is easy. I have several to pick from for after work in town use.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is another work trip with some free time built in. I'd rather not risk leaving a limited edition 629 in the rental care when working.

3" 629 in a chest rig. 6 more rounds on the shoulder strap. I don't have a belt holster for it. The .327 can ride AIWB or mounted onto my pack if I go that route.

I'm thinking taking a 3rd gun isn't a bad idea now. They should all fit into my TSA approved lockable hard case.
    I use G-code RTI quick mounts on my belts so attaching any of my OWB kydex holsters is easy. I have several to pick from for after work in town use.

:yesway: :yesway:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    LCR is a great backup gun. Carried one in .357 on a hunting trip to CO as my backup/town carry gun.

I made the switch to a G29, and I’m quite pleased. With a short magazine, it makes a good carry gun. On a chest rig with a full sized G20 magazine, I don’t feel too unprepared for much of anything. The G29 is coming with me next week on a hog hunting trip too.

I carried a 629 before, but found that I can accurately fire 2-3 10mm rounds in the time I could fire once and get back on target with hot .44 rounds.

But tell us more about your trip! Alaska is amazing. Where all will you be hiking?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My employer has medical clinics in 5 cities; Anchorage, Juneau, Kenai/Soldotna, Wasilla and Fairbanks.

I'll be staying at the Alyeska ski resort and driving around to all the clinics, flying to Juneau and back. Fairbanks is a long ass drive. Might fly that one this year instead.

Show Eaglecrest Ski resort in Juneau your morning boarding pass and get a free lift ticket! I'll stay the night, hike up to the glacier then catch a late flight back to ANC.

:)

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

Top Bottom