Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

Indiana hunter freezes 'buck of a lifetime' to avoid poaching charge.

Indiana hunter freezes 'buck of a lifetime' to avoid poaching charge. It didn't work.

A Holland, Indiana, man has been convicted of illegally killing what many hunters would consider a "buck of a lifetime," according to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
    Mark Gill, 56, harvested a non-typical, 20-point buck with more than 200 inches of antler during the 2016 season after he had already taken a buck earlier in the season, the DNR says. This is a violation of Indiana's one-buck rule, which limits hunters to one antlered deer per hunting season, according to Joe Haywood of the DNR.
    Gill froze the buck until the 2017 season, and then checked it in with the state to make it appear that he killed the buck during the 2017 season, Haywood said.
    It costs money to report the news. Help us keep you informed and subscribe today.
    As part of a plea agreement with the Dubois County prosecutorís office, Gill's hunting license will be suspended for two years, he will serve 100 hours of community service, serve 540 days of probation and pay $741 in fines. He pleaded guilty to unlawful taking of a white-tailed deer and providing false information to a check station, both misdemeanors.
    This is the 20-point buck with more than 200 inches of antler that the DNR says 56-year-old Mark Gill killed illegally. Gill had the deer mounted. (Photo: Provided by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources)

The buck has now been forfeited to the state, Haywood said, and will likely be displayed for educational purposes. Gill previously had the deer mounted, Haywood said.
    Law enforcement, he said, learned of Gill's actions through the Turn In a Poacher (TIP) program, which gives money to people with information that eventually leads to an arrest. To make a report, call 1-800-TIP-IDNR or submit an online form. TIP received 277 reports in 2018, according to the DNR.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...es/3080388002/

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Glad they got him.
    I'd love to see something even CLOSE to that in my woods.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    Glad they got him.
    I'd love to see something even CLOSE to that in my woods.
    Guys like him are why you donít see them in your words. Sentence should have been lifetime ban from hunting.

User Info Menu

Lol, I bet heís trying his best to remember who all he told about his ďtrophyĒ before the new season rolled around!
    You canít fix stupid

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madeuce50 View Post
    Guys like him are why you donít see them in your words. Sentence should have included lifetime ban from hunting.
    I agree, and FIFY
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madeuce50 View Post
    Guys like him are why you donít see them in your words. Sentence should have been lifetime ban from hunting.
    It should have included a lifetime ban and a much, much larger fine.

I had a monster buck poached off of one of my properties this fall. Turns out the convicted felon neighbor did it. Warden confronted him and found it hanging in the shed and also found another deer hidden underneath a car on his property.

180' class typical rack, maybe bigger. MFer.

Ark

User Info Menu

Noob to deer hunting here. How would DNR have caught him? Would someone have had to report him?

User Info Menu

Making a guess, but I would imagine that a taxidermist can tell the difference between something shot and something shot then frozen for a year.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Plinker

User Info Menu

Glad he got caught. I agree also it should have came with a life time hunting ban.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Most deer are frozen before mounting. Either by hunter or the taxidermist himself..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast