• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A thousand oak trees in the forest producing a million acorns and a gray squirrel decides to eat my camera. :xmad:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    It was in his way. Also, some plastics are made from soybean oil. We had this problem with some of our equipment because the squirrels liked the wire insulation.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had a telephone worker in Florida tell me that rabbits just cannot resist the taste/smell/flavor of the insulation on phone wires.
    They said if you don't hang the wires above grade, they will be damaged. Not may, but WILL.

My suggestion would be some blood-meal spread on and around the cameras and trees they're on.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have sat in enough tree stands for enough hours with nothing to watch but squirrels and honestly say the nut-eating tree rat didn't need a logical reason for chewing on a camera. Sometimes I think it's just to chew. I had hamsters and gerbils as a kid and they loved to chew up TP tubes. There was no reason. They just liked chewing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I made some repairs to the camera and put it out in the front yard for the night. Hopefully I can still get some use out of it other than a dummy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have sat in enough tree stands for enough hours with nothing to watch but squirrels and honestly say the nut-eating tree rat didn't need a logical reason for chewing on a camera. Sometimes I think it's just to chew. I had hamsters and gerbils as a kid and they loved to chew up TP tubes. There was no reason. They just liked chewing.

Many rodents have a problem with their teeth.
    They continue to grow, and can actually impair their ability to eat if not maintained.
    Many rodents chew on things other than food just to help keep their teeth worn down to a manageable length.

I know it sounds weird, but google it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Is it a Stealth Cam? If it is less than a year old and you have a receipt/proof of purchase, I would call their customer service and see if they will replace it under warranty.

They are usually pretty good to work with in my experience.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've had a lot of close up photos of squirrels but most of my cams are in Cuddesafes so I don't have to worry much about them being gnawed on.

Top Bottom