• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I would like to spend a day at the NRA convention. I would really like to do it as a pit stop on my way to camping down South. As long as I will be pulling a pop up trailer I am wondering if it would make sense to park the trailer early morning, go to the show, then come back and sleep that night and pull out the next day rather than a motel. I am a little over 2 hours from Indy and will be coming down 65 and then continuing down 65 for my trip. I like to camp in totally unimproved spots as far from everything related to civilization as I can. I figure there is no place near Indy that are unimproved that would be safe to leave my trailer and gear unattended for a day so are there any spots you guys could recommend?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would like to spend a day at the NRA convention. I would really like to do it as a pit stop on my way to camping down South. As long as I will be pulling a pop up trailer I am wondering if it would make sense to park the trailer early morning, go to the show, then come back and sleep that night and pull out the next day rather than a motel. I am a little over 2 hours from Indy and will be coming down 65 and then continuing down 65 for my trip. I like to camp in totally unimproved spots as far from everything related to civilization as I can. I figure there is no place near Indy that are unimproved that would be safe to leave my trailer and gear unattended for a day so are there any spots you guys could recommend?
    There's a KOA campground out near Greenfield. I know it's not unimproved, but if you're just basically wanting a place to sleep overnight, it might work for you, and you can hop on 40 or I-70 and be probably 20 minutes from downtown. Should be safe enough to leave your stuff too.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/indianapolis/

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

The Johnson County Park, across from Camp Atterbury in southern Johnson County, is relatively unimproved and has good access to I-65, at least for your trip south. It is about a half-hour south of Indy, and SR 252 to SR 135 is a reasonably easy drive to downtown Indy.

CAMPGROUNDS ? A WordPress Site

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Perfect timing on the question.

My plan is to hit the NRA Friday and Saturday. Looking for a place to pitch a tent Friday night and then shower in the morning.

There's a KOA campground out near Greenfield. I know it's not unimproved, but if you're just basically wanting a place to sleep overnight, it might work for you, and you can hop on 40 or I-70 and be probably 20 minutes from downtown. Should be safe enough to leave your stuff too.

https://koa.com/campgrounds/indianapolis/

I was also looking at the Lake Haven Retreat south of town too. Any recommendation of one over the other?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Perfect timing on the question.

My plan is to hit the NRA Friday and Saturday. Looking for a place to pitch a tent Friday night and then shower in the morning.

I was also looking at the Lake Haven Retreat south of town too. Any recommendation of one over the other?

I forgot all about Lake Haven. And that's only a couple miles from my house! I used to work with a lady that was near retirement, and so was living out of her RV for the last year or so of her working. Her hubby had recently passed away, and since she knew she would be moving to Florida, she just didn't want to buy a house. She liked it there, and I think they have several "permanent" residents. That would be even closer to downtown. Probably only 10 minutes from Lucas Oil/Convention Center.

Lake Haven Retreat - Indy'a Premier RV Campground

Last edited:

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'll second the Johnson county park. Nice place and a clean shower/ bath house. It has been a few years since I was there, but I tent camped both times.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'll second the Johnson county park. Nice place and a clean shower/ bath house. It has been a few years since I was there, but I tent camped both times.

They may have changed the rules since then. The very first line on their website says no tent camping, but does say that Scout groups can tent camp with reservations.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side

Not very scenic, but can you camp at the Cabelas on the northeast side? My brother and I pulled a small camper to MI last fall to grouse hunt and we stopped for the night at a cabelas in wisconson. They had a free dumping station and water available to fill the tanks.

ETA: there is tons of camping around the track. Don’t know if anymos available off season, but it might be worth a call.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    There is a KOA campground right next to Mount Comfort RV Sales on the east side off of Mount Comfort Road. I've never camped there but it's not too far away.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I forgot all about Lake Haven. And that's only a couple miles from my house! I used to work with a lady that was near retirement, and so was living out of her RV for the last year or so of her working. Her hubby had recently passed away, and since she knew she would be moving to Florida, she just didn't want to buy a house. She liked it there, and I think they have several "permanent" residents. That would be even closer to downtown. Probably only 10 minutes from Lucas Oil/Convention Center.

Lake Haven Retreat - Indy'a Premier RV Campground
    Called Lake Haven yesterday and asked about reservations for Friday. She told me their campsites were sold out for the NRA event. When I told her I just needed a tent campsite and a shower in the morning she hooked me up. $23. Long range forecast looks good, I may just cowboy camp.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Called Lake Haven yesterday and asked about reservations for Friday. She told me their campsites were sold out for the NRA event. When I told her I just needed a tent campsite and a shower in the morning she hooked me up. $23. Long range forecast looks good, I may just cowboy camp.

I'd like to hear what you think of it. DoggyMama bought an old RV last year and we haven't taken it out yet. Thought about going there just to get the feel for things. I've never camped (parked) in an RV before. Seems like a lot of work to me. :):

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I'd like to hear what you think of it. DoggyMama bought an old RV last year and we haven't taken it out yet. Thought about going there just to get the feel for things. I've never camped (parked) in an RV before. Seems like a lot of work to me. :):

I wanted a place close to downtown to pitch a tent and take a morning shower. It was exactly what I was looking for. It was basically urban (suburban) “camping” much like pitching a tent in your backyard as a kid. Clean and tidy. Quite a few permanent RV setups. The photos they have on their website are an accurate representation. S.R. 37 runs along the west side which created some traffic noise but not so much that it bothered my sleeping with just a tarp and bivy bag, you’ll be fine in a camper. Probably a good place for a first experience but you could probably get that first experience in your driveway. Wife and I may use it again if going to Indy for an event rather than getting a hotel we’ll just pitch a tent. The RV slots were all full but there were only three tents in the large grassy area for tent camping.

PM if you have more specific questions.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wanted a place close to downtown to pitch a tent and take a morning shower. It was exactly what I was looking for. It was basically urban (suburban) “camping” much like pitching a tent in your backyard as a kid. Clean and tidy. Quite a few permanent RV setups. The photos they have on their website are an accurate representation. S.R. 37 runs along the west side which created some traffic noise but not so much that it bothered my sleeping with just a tarp and bivy bag, you’ll be fine in a camper. Probably a good place for a first experience but you could probably get that first experience in your driveway. Wife and I may use it again if going to Indy for an event rather than getting a hotel we’ll just pitch a tent. The RV slots were all full but there were only three tents in the large grassy area for tent camping.

PM if you have more specific questions.

Thanks for the report! We've plugged in to the house electricity, but still thought it might be a good idea to get the "feel" for what we might encounter at an RV campsite. Really wish we knew someone that was an experienced RV'er that could show us the ropes rather than fumbling through the owner's manual. I've always been a tent camper (primitive camping, not in a campground) and honestly I'm not too crazy about even using the RV. Like I said, it seems like a lot more work, but maybe I'm just a little intimidated by it all.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Good luck with the RV setup.
    I still tent camp but I may be looking at a popup for next year.
    Age is playing a big part of this decision.

Top Bottom