Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AGarbers View Post
    They had a tool to combat this called Warfarin but public opinion made them choose to not use it. Hunting isn't the cure because as a population thins in an area there is more food for the rest and reproduction rates increase. Kansas and Nebraska have programs that are somewhat effective as they do not allow hunting of the hogs. Government contractors/hunters go in and trap/kill them. Since there isn't an incentive to have them around, hog hunters have no incentive to bring in more. Trapping is far more effective than hunting. In Texas, the hog lifestyle is so much a part of their culture now they will never allow getting rid of all of them. There is a good series on YouTube about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTIxox-46Aw

Can the pigs with atrial fibrillation or blood clotting issues like DVT still use it?

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Can the pigs with atrial fibrillation or blood clotting issues like DVT still use it?
    As long as their veterinarian authorizes it.

User Info Menu

I would bet that with an aggressive campaign of traps, poison, habitat eradication and hunting you could wipe out any species in an area.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

this.....

"I got a shotgun,rifle and 4 wheel drive and country boy can survive!!!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghitch75 View Post
    this.....

Sounded cool at first but not a fan after watching it. Not exactly humane. Kudos for the follow up mercy shots, though. (but you wont see me butthurt about it protesting or anything)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    If bountys or dollars per animal are enough money, some will turn it into a full-time job. When enough do it as a full-time job that species will be controlled or eliminated. History proves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    I would bet that with an aggressive campaign of traps, poison, habitat eradication and hunting you could wipe out any species in an area.
    In theory, maybe, but history hasn't really proved that it would work for either Coyotes or feral hogs. With every species that I can think of that has been driven to extinction in N. America, hunting was only a partial factor, with habitat destruction being a bigger factor, along with the species not being especially prolific.

With Coyotes and feral hogs being as prolific as they are, and with the great habitats that they occupy, it would really take some doing to eradicate them.

I've shot Coyotes, but I've never shot a hog. The way I look at it, they both give great opportunities for sport, but I'm just not sure that hunters limit their numbers to any great effect.
    No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I’ve never hog hunted in Texas but I assume what used to be a easy task of asking a farmer to hunt hogs on his land and him being greatful for every one taken has turned into “outfitters” leasing the farmers land which would be a win win for the farmer so that the outfitter can sell hunts. Now you have less people going out killing hogs at their free will.

Greed is killing the sport of hunting for most people unless you have deep pockets for a lease these days.

User Info Menu

This one is better. When pigs fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbUxPFcaTu4

User Info Menu

Seems like with so many hogs running around, they could figure out a way to get the price of bacon to come down.

User Info Menu

First, there are plenty of low cost, high value hunting options to be found in Texas, one just has to invest more time and effort than a 5 minute google search.

Second, I'm not sure why so many expect to be provided with something of value for free or nearly so but for those that do, $100 gets you a 5 day non-resident hunting license and access to tens of thousands of acres of public land with hogs via an public land hunting permit. Of course, this requires one to do the work of researching opportunities, invest the effort in finding the hogs, and put in the effort to retrieve and process kills. Most insist on having nice accommodations, a guide and someone to process the kill for them and wonder why it costs so much.

Third, those serious about reducing hogs on their property employ trappers instead of entertaining hunters. Those that seek to entertain hunters have made the decision that living with hogs and charging fees to hunt them is more advantageous than trying to eliminate them. Having made the decision to live with the hogs, they charge accordingly and find plenty of people who have money but lack time or the willingness to put in the effort.

Like most things in life, you can have cheap, easy or plentiful, pick two of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by Principal Skinr View Post
    You wouldn't know they were losing by what they charge for licenses and access for out of state hunters. I won't feel too much sympathy until they make it a bit easier for me to go down there and help out.
    A whole whopping $48 bucks for a out of state license is really that much of an impediment to hunting hogs in Texas?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast