Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Texas Losing The Feral Hog Fight

These numbers are pretty sobering. Seventy percent of the feral hog population would have to be killed every year just to keep the population the same.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/texas...ource=facebook
    We ascend to our destiny...to the Elysian fields

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

No mention of bounties in that article. I wonder if the concept of a bounty is outdated or how much per hog would make it worthwhile for hunters to take them out.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Heck, just give people free ammo like they did for buffalo. Look what it did to the buffalo population...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

User Info Menu

"I got a shotgun,rifle and 4 wheel drive and country boy can survive!!!"

User Info Menu

I was listening to someone talk about the coyote problem in the US. They were saying the same thing. The stat they stated was 60% of the yotes would need to be killed to stop their growth. Utah has a $50 bounty for yotes too. South Carolina has proposed a $75 bounty for each yote killed.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>> www.ingunowners.com/forums/forum-support-suggestions/446735-posting-photos-imgur-ingo.html

Or here for Photobucket https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...-tutorial.html <<<<<<<<<

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

I haven't killed a yote in years. Keep hoping they'll thin down pop's inbred cat population...
    Yes. Yes, I'm serious.

User Info Menu

I wonder if there is a paradox, or at least some conflicting interests. Hog hunting is big business for a lot of people here. People put out bait...i.e. food... for them, and depend on them coming back to their properties so hunting leases and trips can be sold. It's not exactly in their interest to remove all the hogs.

User Info Menu

Google Texas hog hunting, and you'll see why they're overrun with hogs. There are hundreds of places charging ridiculous prices for something that is such a problem. I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    I wonder if there is a paradox, or at least some conflicting interests. Hog hunting is big business for a lot of people here. People put out bait...i.e. food... for them, and depend on them coming back to their properties so hunting leases and trips can be sold. It's not exactly in their interest to remove all the hogs.
    Exactly. Do a little research on hog hunting and see how expensive it is. $$$ for the trip allows you to shoot X hogs, $$ for each additional hog, $ for butchering per hog/per lb, and you don't get to keep the meat. They've made hogs a "cash crop". It sounds like a great time and probably is but all those $$$$s add up to prohibitively expensive unless you only want to shoot 2-3 hogs. Hell, I thought they were going to be the next "prairie dog".
    People who think they know everything are particularly annoying to those of us who do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    Straight from the Texan's mouth...

I was googling before I replied and didn't see his post, but here's a good example. https://www.independenceranch.com/ho...hoCSMEQAvD_BwE
    $399 for three nights seems reasonable until you get to the fine print. $100 per hunter for a guide fee isn't bad, I'd pay that without being required to. Cleaning fees at $1 per pound and only the staff can clean, that's where it gets into ridiculous.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast