Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Digging a pond?

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Be aware that even if you don't stock your pond, there WILL be fish there when you do. Birds carry them in their feathers when they come in and you are off and running.

If your county extension agent isn't up to it, contact Purdue directly. If nothing else they will want to know why the extension agent isn't helping.

Trust me, there is no reason to try and re-invent the wheel here. All the answers to all your questions are already printed and filed, you just need someone to give it to you. And providing it to you is their job description.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ws6duramax View Post
    Be aware that there is more to building a pond than just pushing dirt .
    If done wrong , you will the most expensive 1 acre mud hole in the county .
    I know where there are several $12-20K mud holes, where all the soil and engineering work was done properly and mother earth just turned the tables on us with some unseen feature. I always told landowners that a pond was a 50/50 proposition... either it will hold water, or it won't. I was not trying to be a smart arse, but it was just the raw truth. Soil with a high water-table and good clay can yield a good pit pond; however you just never know where the next sand seam may be.
    The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

User Info Menu

I'm asking here, not telling.

If you ran into a sand vein, couldn't you just seal it with clay?
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

User Info Menu

Think of a man made pond as a large aquarium. Requires lots of time, attention, work and a constant cash flow.

Looked at a house with one. Definitely was a deal breaker. Just policing it and trying to keep people out. Yikes.
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
    I'm asking here, not telling.

If you ran into a sand vein, couldn't you just seal it with clay?
    Yeah , it's definitely possible . It all depends where it is and how large the vein is . It can cost a fortune chasing something like that once in awhile . Other times it could be no big deal .Water has a way about finding a way out if it wants to . There is tremendous amount of water pressure once a pond a full .

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper 79 View Post
    Think of a man made pond as a large aquarium. Requires lots of time, attention, work and a constant cash flow.

Looked at a house with one. Definitely was a deal breaker. Just policing it and trying to keep people out. Yikes.
    wont have to worry about people

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg21 View Post
    wont have to worry about people
    Rouge skinny dippers.....

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woowoo2 View Post
    Rouge skinny dippers.....

Well in that case my trail cameras will either be a blessing or a curse

User Info Menu

Yeah , it's definitely possible . It all depends where it is and how large the vein is . It can cost a fortune chasing something like that once in awhile . Other times it could be no big deal .Water has a way about finding a way out if it wants to . There is tremendous amount of water pressure once a pond a full .
    The above is the truth. I once spent a mans $24K to seal a 1.5 acre pond. After installation of a 3' blanket of local clay mixed with 40 tons of Bentonite clay the first rain filled it to 18'. Looked promising.... 24 hours later it was 2' deep. 18' of head pressure pushed through the blanket and a siphon formed, emptying the pond. 30 years later it still will not hold water.
    The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

User Info Menu

Trust me when I tell you Doug's the guy to get . He will come and give you all kinds of ideas you probably never even thought about . Digs test holes before he commits and if he doesn't think it will work , he will tell you . Top Notch
    Does Doug Bergman work in Dearborn County also? I saw you are in Batesville and I'm about 30 minutes east of you and didn't know if your recommended pond guy comes out my way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast