Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Digging a pond?

User Info Menu

I've met with Doug Bergman a couple times and he's dug test holes on my property that show suitable soil, so mid-summer I think they're gonna get to it...roughly 1/3 to 1/2 acre in surface area.

I've called the Clark County Zoning & Planning Office, as well as the Soil & Water Conservation District, and neither told me of any required permits. Have a voicemail into the Clark Co Engineer as a final check but otherwise I think I'm good to go since there aren't any WOTUS concerns...?
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by avboiler11 View Post
    I've met with Doug Bergman a couple times and he's dug test holes on my property that show suitable soil, so mid-summer I think they're gonna get to it...roughly 1/3 to 1/2 acre in surface area.

I've called the Clark County Zoning & Planning Office, as well as the Soil & Water Conservation District, and neither told me of any required permits. Have a voicemail into the Clark Co Engineer as a final check but otherwise I think I'm good to go since there aren't any WOTUS concerns...?
    That's awesome . You'll be more than happy with how it turns out , he does excellent work . If it wasn't such a pain to post pictures , I would put some up of the one he did for me .

User Info Menu

ITS HAPPENING!

Grandmaster LockStocksAndBarrel's Avatar

User Info Menu

God bless America!

Practicing traditional carry.

Originally Posted by
    eric001YUP! It's the difference between using purple and being purple...

User Info Menu

I know we have never meet but I am jealous of you right now. My wife decided that we need to put on pond on hold for a couple of years. I am very excited to see the stages and the learning curves you share with us. I will be paying very close attention to this.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 66chevelle View Post
    I know we have never meet but I am jealous of you right now. My wife decided that we need to put on pond on hold for a couple of years. I am very excited to see the stages and the learning curves you share with us. I will be paying very close attention to this.
    I am just jealous the dozers have AC!!!!

User Info Menu

Picture was taken early this afternoon by my wife; if the rain holds off they should be finished by the end of this week.

Not 100% clear on surface area yet, likely 2/3 acre, max depth about 11'. Bringing in some pea gravel tomorrow for some fish habitat and a kayak launch-type area, get some structure in the pond (artificial or most likely, built from some of the removed trees), then buy and install a small aerator before the pond fills, then seed/straw the yard and around the pond, then build a dock, and finally figure out exactly when, what, where from and how to stock it with fish - likely starting next spring if it fills sufficiently.

Jones Fish has some comprehensive stocking packages, but the prices are $$$...considering Andry's, Cassidy, or Clear Creek Fish Farms, too.
    As somebody said upthread, it ain't an inexpensive process...but once everything gets done...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the post's AV. This is something I'd love to do someday.

Problem is, where I want it is a 20 foot deep, 100 yard wide gully full of trees. I'm betting removing all those roots would get expensive quick.
    Last edited by 42769vette; 07-17-2019 at 19:51.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

Plinker

User Info Menu

You'd be surprised how quickly trees can be removed with a good sized excavator ! They can make short work of a lot of trees in no time flat .

Quote Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
    Thanks for the post's AV. This is something I'd love to do someday.

Problem is, where I want it is a 20 foot deep, 100 yard wide gully full of trees. I'm betting removing all those roots would get expensive quick.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I went with Clear Creek for mine . They are great people to deal with . Family owned , knowledgeable and very nice people to talk with . I don't believe I lost a single fish from them .

Quote Originally Posted by avboiler11 View Post
    Picture was taken early this afternoon by my wife; if the rain holds off they should be finished by the end of this week.

Not 100% clear on surface area yet, likely 2/3 acre, max depth about 11'. Bringing in some pea gravel tomorrow for some fish habitat and a kayak launch-type area, get some structure in the pond (artificial or most likely, built from some of the removed trees), then buy and install a small aerator before the pond fills, then seed/straw the yard and around the pond, then build a dock, and finally figure out exactly when, what, where from and how to stock it with fish - likely starting next spring if it fills sufficiently.

Jones Fish has some comprehensive stocking packages, but the prices are $$$...considering Andry's, Cassidy, or Clear Creek Fish Farms, too.
    As somebody said upthread, it ain't an inexpensive process...but once everything gets done...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast