Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Digging a pond?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Digging a pond?

Anyone with knowledge on this topic would love to hear your input. I am finally getting ready to have a pond dug. Roughly 1 acre... going to be in an L shape. Planning on 4' deep at the edges and then 20' in the center. Plan to stock with bass bluegill and cats. Would like crappie but I heard they need a larger pond? Goal is to attract wildlife (deer bullfrogs and ducks) and have a decent fishing spot for me and my family. Planning on putting a berm alongside one of the pond edges and I will be planting all the disturbed soil with clover mix. Just looking for do's and dont's from people who have been here. I already heard do not introduce cattails or lily pads..

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

You county extension agent will have all the answers for you totally free.

They will even know the soil type and if your are barking up the wrong tree.

Look under your county listings in the phone book and give them a call, you will be amazed at what is already available to you.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

Marksman

User Info Menu

I called the county and got forwarded to soil and water conservation she did not have many answers. I am keeping my fingers crossed.... since there are quite a few ponds in the area when I look at satellite images. I am not made of money but right now I have a person willing to dig it for a very reasonable amount... so as long as it isn’t rocket surgery I should be ok

Plinker

User Info Menu

People I know stocked channel cats wished they would have put blue or flatheads in. They say better eating when they get larger.

User Info Menu

I've never heard of a "deer bullfrog". Is that deer with a long tongue or a frog with a rack?
    WTS/WTT 9mm and 308 win reload dies.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljesus View Post
    I've never heard of a "deer bullfrog". Is that deer with a long tongue or a frog with a rack?

Related to the jackalope

User Info Menu

I'd put red eared sunfish in first and let them get established then add the cats. Give them a year and add the 'gills and bass last. The shell crackers (red ear) will keep the snails down. We have a problem with flukes in our area. Little yellow flat worms and the black cysts(eggs?) they form from in the flesh of the bass and bluegill. With the red ear eating the snails, the life cycle of the flukes is interrupted and so no worms and black spots in the fish.
    Last edited by patience0830; 1 Week Ago at 15:19.
    Just call me lollipop.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    I'd put red eared sunfish in first and let them get established then add the cats. Give them a year and add the 'gills and bass last. The shell crackers (red ear) will keep the snails down. We have a problem with flukes in our area. Little yellow flat worms and the black cysts(eggs?) they form from in the flesh of the bass and bluegill. With the red ear earring the snails, the life cycle of the flukes is interrupted and so no worms and black spots in the fish.
    looks like I am a long way out from fishing.... they said to let the pond cycle for a year before adding fish also

User Info Menu

My uncle owns a fairly large pond and says duckweed can be a major issue. Not a show stopper but treatment is needed yearly to keep it from taking over. Not sure about cost etc.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/duckweed-control.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemnoideae

Last edited by Wolfhound; 1 Week Ago at 11:45.
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

If shooting is allowed on your property, it seems a shame to not use the excavated soil to build a nice back stop. Given what has been posted about how long it will be getting the pond ready to fish, you'll need something to do.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast