• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I have only fished half a dozen times in my life. I have no clue what im doing. I also have no friends that fish. I have been wanting to take up fishing for years, and decided to make the leap this summer. I'm in nwi, and I'm in need of everything. What are some good routes to go as far as rod and reel? I know there is lots to learn and like guns I have a feeling you get what you pay for. Cheap gear can ruin and turn someone away from the experience.

I'm not looking to break the bank, in case it's not my thing. But I also don't want the hi point equivalent. Any advice or pointed in the right direction would be appreciated. Once again, I'm clueless, its ok to talk to me like a dummy this once.. :popcorn:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As with most things, you can get by with basic utilitarian equipment which will get the job done. Spend a bit more and get the job done with fewer hassles. You can also spend a bunch and enjoy the feeling of well oiled machinery and ultra sensitive rods which allow you to feel every little bump in the water.

Spinning reels are the most versatile and easy to learn in my opinion. Go to a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops where you can pick them up, turn the handle and feel how they operate. Generally speaking the more ball bearings the smoother and better feeling a reel will be. More money gets you more bearings, things like infinite anti-reverse and the ability to fine tune your drag. You don't have to spend a ton, technology has advanced to where really decent quality is pretty affordable but there is definitely a difference between the high end and low end reels.

Rods take a bit longer to really get a feel for what you want/like/need in my opinion. Like golf clubs, they can be very task specific. Honestly I'd talk to the guys working at Bass Pro or Cabela's about what you're wanting to do and they should steer you in a safe direction.

What type of fishing/species are you considering chasing? That will largely dictate what you should go with.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    That's another thing. I'm not sure what I'd be going after. I know it gets very specific. Is there any; does everything good, nothing great, setup that I could start with. Then as I get an idea, go from there? Or should that be my starting point? Figure out exactly what I'm going after first?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Youtube is your friend or your local bait and tackle shop, avoid the big name box stores.
    [video=youtube;-P0OVbWvw7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0OVbWvw7I[/video]

looper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    NWI
    For a basic starting point a spincast or spinning reel combo works well for most local fishing purposes. spincast is enclosed while spinning is an open faced reel. As stated above more ball bearings equals smoother performance a good starting price for combo rod and reel in ultra light up to medium light, figure 6 or 8lb test line, $50-$75 will get you very usable combo.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Been fishing a long time also in NWI. I would sugest going with a medium weight rod 6'6 or a 6'9 and a decent spinning reel. If you don't care about catfish or northern a 6"9 medium light would be even better. More balance and lighter weight. Some reels come with several spools. You can line up heavier for catfish or bass and then switch out and go lighter for panfish. That outfit would get you where you want to go. If you dig fishing you will develop a style and possibly a species and branch out to more specific setups.

Brands to look at would be Fenwick, Abu, Lews, Berkley. Walmart actually has some decent stuff. On line retailers like Tackle warehouse are good. I stay away from the Bass Pro. Ive also gotten a lot of top notch tackle and gear from garage sales.

Fish with as many people as you can you will learn something from each person.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I was going to head to cabelas tomorrow. I'll plan to walk out with ideas and go from there. It looks like I am within the budget I was hoping for. I will be getting my fishing license at the very least.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Youtube is your friend or your local bait and tackle shop, avoid the big name box stores.
    [video=youtube;-P0OVbWvw7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0OVbWvw7I[/video]

Quick and to the point. But he spoke plainly and to the point. Thanks for the link.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I know some people won’t agree with my comments but I love to fish so maybe I am different. I don’t care if I am catching small bluegills all day or 6 pond small mouths in Minnesota. I probably have the most fun going fishing before the sun comes up. I grab a can of worms and an old cane pole with a cork and the most important a cup of coffee. I get set up about an hour before sunrise and watch the sunrise listen to all the animals and for a bonus catch some fish. I own a bunch of rods and reels from St. Croix to zebco to cane and they all work great depending on the situation. If I had to buy one rod and reel to last me the rest of my life it would probably be a Zebco 33 combo.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I know some people won’t agree with my comments but I love to fish so maybe I am different. I don’t care if I am catching small bluegills all day or 6 pond small mouths in Minnesota. I probably have the most fun going fishing before the sun comes up. I grab a can of worms and an old cane pole with a cork and the most important a cup of coffee. I get set up about an hour before sunrise and watch the sunrise listen to all the animals and for a bonus catch some fish. I own a bunch of rods and reels from St. Croix to zebco to cane and they all work great depending on the situation. If I had to buy one rod and reel to last me the rest of my life it would probably be a Zebco 33 combo.

That sounds great! I'm not looking to be the next Jeremy wade. I'm just looking to have some fun. Maybe make some new friends and someday teach my kids to fish. But, I also said I only wanted one gun and one rifle to be Ble to protect my family... that didnt turn out as planned...lol

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I started with a shimano spinning reel and a store branded (bass pro) rod. This has been my favorite set up. I have a bunch of high end stuff now but I still always go back to that combo. I quickly realized I didn't really care for bluegill fishing and moved onto bass only.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Ugly Stik or Zebco, depending on preference. I like open-faced reels because they're easier to work with and, more importantly, easier to diagnose when you screw up the first few times. As for hooks/bait, ask around and see what's doing good this year; sometimes (real) worms are good and other times (fake) frogs are the ticket down here. Here is a decent combo if you aren't one of those that can't stand the big W.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Ugly Stik or Zebco, depending on preference. I like open-faced reels because they're easier to work with and, more importantly, easier to diagnose when you screw up the first few times. As for hooks/bait, ask around and see what's doing good this year; sometimes (real) worms are good and other times (fake) frogs are the ticket down here. Here is a decent combo if you aren't one of those that can't stand the big W.

I have heard great things about ugly sticks. Bought one for my oldest a few years ago. Used it once and she decided she liked cheerleading more...

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    OK, I'll throw in my 2¢. I have rods that cost $30 and $599. I have reels that cost $14 and $299. They have different uses for me. The cheaper ones (and I'm not suggesting they are of low quality) are for panfish, the more expensive ones are for sharks. I have roughly 15 of each. If I had to give you one of my rods to start with, and to be as versatile as possible, I'd give you a Cabela's Saltstriker spinning combo that cost $125. I use 2 of these on my kayak for freshwater and salt water. This combo with 10# line has caught probably 25 species of fish, even a couple of 3' bonnethead sharks, barracudas, a redfish about 32", and a mess of crappie. You could pay less at say Wallyworld, maybe $50-75 and get something quite serviceable.

A spinning reel has a bit of a learning curve to it, but less headache than a baitcaster IMO. I have had nothing but bad luck with closed face reels, but if you got one, I'd get a Zebco and pay at least $30-50 for it. I have an Ugly Stick. It's one of my cheaper rods and it works just great.

Go to Basspro and ask for help. That's what they're there for. gee, apparently sal****er is a bad word

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Are the fishing guys any better than the gun guys at bass pro and cabelas? It's seems like 9/10 I have to bite my tongue at some of the things I get told about a certain gun or ammo. I know I can't cast the shadow of ignorance over every big box store employee but I'm afraid to go in and be the chump that believes everything, right or wrong. I feel like the info I'm getting is relatively consistent.

Also, catching a shark sounds awesome! I hope to try it someday.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

That's my backup rig, and the first rod/reel I buy my kids. Solid and inexpensive.

I too am happy catching ANYTHING.

Top Bottom