• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I am in the NW corner of the state. My neighbor said they should have been up here a couple of days ago. I put my feeder up right away but no sightings as of yet. Who has seen them?

I only see one species of Hummingbirds around my feeders and at the most 3 birds at a time. Are you guys that get swarm with a few different subspecies doing anything different than putting the 4 to 1 formula out there in standard feeders?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I am in the NW corner of the state.
    I only see one species of Hummingbirds around my feeders and at the most 3 birds at a time. Are you guys that get swarm with a few different subspecies doing anything different than putting the 4 to 1 formula out there in standard feeders?

There is ONLY ONE species of hummingbird in Indiana - the Ruby Throated Hummingbird. The 4 to 1 formula is the only one considered both safe and adequate for the hummingbirds.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    We do this every year. Where the heck are they? We usually see one around mid-April, then another in a week or so. They don't get settled in until about May 10-15. I'm in Marion County. According to the migration map, they're in Michigan, but the sightings are pretty sparse. The first ones we see are almost always at daybreak.
    They're pretty smart and very observant. If you've got a feeder out, they'll find it.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Put my feeder out Saturday morning, and saw my first hummingbird yesterday (Sunday), and have several at the feeder today (Monday).

Last edited:

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    The first one for the season for us showed up today with the grosbeaks and the orioles.

Top Bottom