Dumbest or bravest or ? turkeys in the world?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Seems turkeys get the reputation for being among the wiliest of the wily in the woods, and from what I've seen, they have a well deserved reputation. Then there's these guys.
    Yesterday morning I needed to run into town. I come around a sharp curve and right out in the middle of the road is a tom in full strut laying the mack down on a couple of ladies. None of them payed a bit of attention to vehicles, people were having to going around them and even had to get off the road to get by. I stopped to watch for a minute or 2 but didn't want to tie up traffic too much so went by the birds. Took a few pics before and as I drove past. Found a spot and turned around and went back and watched a few more minutes. Needed to get to town so drove past a 3rd time, as I pulled up to the tom I stuck my head out the window and gave a quick gobble gobble. Tom didn't like that. He started to turn towards my car and raising his... whatever that thing is on top their head. About them a large truck came around the corner and blew his horn so the tom walked on off the road in front of my car. Now, this wasn't some way out in the boonies county road that 10 cars might go down a busy day. This was one of the busiest county roads around used by a lot of people to get into town and there's a business just a bit down that generates quite a bit of truck traffic.
    S2CNvF2.jpg

j6Lx1Ne.jpg

3YvA2QK.jpg

k7I6QgO.jpg

t9PhnxM.jpg

So this morning I ran back into town to pick up some parts for the truck. Same road as yesterday, just before I get to where the turkey were, and there they were again. Right in somebody's yard. People that lived there were standing on their porch watching them. Took another couple of pics then moved on as that spot in the road is in between 2 sharp curves with limited visibility so was a good spot to get rear ended. Hour later on the way home and the crazy things were still there!
    WIRUEdm.jpg

TnNaIjg.jpg

WUqFaAc.jpg

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I believe it's a Jake (based on the 2nd to last photo) because the central tail feathers stick up higher than the outer tail feathers on the fan.
    Yep,a jake for sure-I was referring to the white tipped tail feathers.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The coloration looks like a bronze domestic turkey BUT there is a quite a bit of color variation among wild turkeys in Indiana. Partially white wild turkeys in varying shades are not uncommon in southern Indiana thanks to the initial re-stocking efforts being conducted with animals from only a few donor populations.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The coloration looks like a bronze domestic turkey BUT there is a quite a bit of color variation among wild turkeys in Indiana. Partially white wild turkeys in varying shades are not uncommon in southern Indiana thanks to the initial re-stocking efforts being conducted with animals from only a few donor populations.

I think that could very well be what they are. Went through there the other day and they were following around the couple that live there.

Top Bottom