Anyone ever use their Glock 20 for deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    It's been several years since I have handgun hunted for deer, but I always really enjoyed it. Anyways, I have taken a few with T/C Encore pistols and bought a Glock 20 recently to use this year. Kinda funny that I owned a G20 in the past, but the 10mm wasn't legal for deer in Indiana at the time so I traded it on something else. I am looking forward to working up loads and working on my proficiency at hunting distances between now and gun season. Anyone else used their Glock 20 for deer? Fun times ahead!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Fun times indeed! I don't have a spot to hunt but if I did the G20 would be by my side. Load development and practice would be a lot of fun.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I loaded a few hundred 10MM rounds with Nosler 135 grainers a few years ago, for a neighbor to use for deer out of his Delta.
    The report back was, they work very well.

Charleybravo56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Nashville
    It's been several years since I have handgun hunted for deer, but I always really enjoyed it. Anyways, I have taken a few with T/C Encore pistols and bought a Glock 20 recently to use this year. Kinda funny that I owned a G20 in the past, but the 10mm wasn't legal for deer in Indiana at the time so I traded it on something else. I am looking forward to working up loads and working on my proficiency at hunting distances between now and gun season. Anyone else used their Glock 20 for deer? Fun times ahead!

I bought one last year with deer hunting in mind as well as personal protection for out west backcountry trips.
    I’m positive that it’ll easily take a buck. I’m still working on proficiency and comfortable carry options and being a lefty makes the search a bit more difficult.
    I’d be interested in seeing what holsters folks are using. I have and prefer hip carry but it’s a bit heavy.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Look at the Underwood 155 or 180 gr. Bonded JHP loads. Top performance and very accurate. Should be just what Bambi needs to fill your freezer.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I carry my Glock 20 in a HPG recon kit bag. Great for deer hunting.

I normally carry my Glock 29 when hiking in the kit bag.

Last edited:

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I bought one last year with deer hunting in mind as well as personal protection for out west backcountry trips.
    I’m positive that it’ll easily take a buck. I’m still working on proficiency and comfortable carry options and being a lefty makes the search a bit more difficult.
    I’d be interested in seeing what holsters folks are using. I have and prefer hip carry but it’s a bit heavy.

Check this holster out: https://www.gsholsters.com/

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    Good info here guys, let's keep this thread going. I plan on putting a few hundred rounds through the gun soon, just to break it in. I have some 200 gr XTPs that are warmly loaded on my reloading bench.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My experienced has been the same as many others here. I had a 20sf years ago and sold it because I couldn't hunt with it and ammo was very expensive. Now the ammo is reasonably priced, and I can hunt with it so I'm interested again. I have a hill people gear runners chest pouch and I use it quite a bit when going out for night hikes once the kids are in bed. It's a great pouch and it looks like any other kind of hiking gear and not some tacticool chest rig. My only gripe is that when I hike at night I prefer to carry something with a flashlight on it and it's hard to find kydex trigger guards that'll secure the weapon but also accommodate the mounted flashlight also. If/when I get back into the game I'll take the Hornady 200gr FTX ammo hunting for whitetail.

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I had the chance to put some rounds down range this week with the Glock 20. I shot some factory 180gr Remington loads and some 200gr XTP hand loads that I had from my last G20. I forgot how enjoyable these guns are to shoot! I think I am going to run a few hundred FMJ bullets through it to get it properly broken in this summer before serious load development takes place. Shoot straight and shoot often my friends.

Top Bottom