• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    Happy Memorial Day! I need opinions, feedback, comments, etc. from folks who have used both of these differing hitch mount bicycle racks. Unfortunately, none of our cars have hitches so I can't quite test these racks out yet to determine which is the best. One rack is a Bell rack and the other is a Coleman.

From handling these bike racks, I have determined the following:

Similarities:

1) Both racks are suitable for both 2.0" and 1.25" hitch receivers.
    2) Both racks have a hinge so that they can be tilted down.
    3) Both racks have the capability to accommodate transporting 4 bikes.

Differences:

1) Bell rack has two arms to support bike frame in two spots. Possibly more supportive?
    2) Bell rack uses Velcro straps to secure bikes to rack. Possibly less secure? Although this can be remedied by ratchet straps, etc. Not talking about anti-theft security here, but rather, stability on a road or highway.
    3) Coleman rack supports bikes only in one spot, in the center. Possibly less supportive, more wobbly?
    4) Coleman rack uses a threaded rod to "clamp" the bike frames to the rack. Although this seems potentially more secure overall, I am curious what happens if you have bikes with different frame thicknesses. Each threaded clamp secures two bikes, so I would assume that it would be best to mount two bikes together that have a similar frame thickness.
    5) The Coleman rack does seem beefier overall, with a larger gusset on the bottom near the hinge. I haven't weighed them to determine weight difference, and perhaps it is visually confusing since the Coleman rack's tubing is bigger, but it also feels a little bit heavier as well. Not confirmed.....

So, who here has used both styles of these racks? What are your comments, what did you like and dislike about each style? Which one did you feel was the best all-around bike rack, if I was ultimately going to keep only one of the two racks?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20190527_132030.jpg
      20190527_132030.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 16
    • 20190527_132629.jpg
      20190527_132629.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 14

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Neither of those are going to be high quality racks for long term use. Look for Yakima or Thule racks to get better quality.

Neither of those names are to be trusted as both are owned by holding companies that sell the name to just about anyone that will pay them to do so...

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Look for Yakima or Thule racks to get better quality.

^^^THIS^^^

I have used both brands and these are the go to racks for hauling bikes that cost more than the car transporting them. Four bikes on a hitch rack is a lot of weight on a lever, you want something well designed and well built. The issue is not you losing the cost of a poorly secured economy bike, it is the bike flying off on the interstate and causing mayhem and destruction those driving behind you.

As a caution, be conscious of where your exhaust exits in relation to the tires on the bike(s). Not an issue at highway or city speed but if you get stuck in traffic for an extended period you might mess up a tire if it is too close to the tailpipe.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    Thanks for the recommendations to go with another brand, but unfortunately, these suggestions do not relate to the original inquiry. It is highly unlikely that either of these hitches will be used for long distance hauling of a $10,000 carbon fiber bicycle.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Thanks for the recommendations to go with another brand, but unfortunately, these suggestions do not relate to the original inquiry. It is highly unlikely that either of these hitches will be used for long distance hauling of a $10,000 carbon fiber bicycle.

Which means that four less expensive bikes will be even heavier, requiring a well made rack.

While the bike may not be worth $10k the car behind you that eats a poorly secured bike may incur some substantial damage. Not to mention if it causes an accident where another driver or their passengers is injured.

1) Bell rack has two arms to support bike frame in two spots.
    4) Coleman rack uses a threaded rod to "clamp" the bike frames to the rack. Although this seems potentially more secure overall, I am curious what happens if you have bikes with different frame thicknesses.

Based on this alone I would lean towards the Bell. Not only would the Coleman present an issue with different frame top tube diameter sizes there could also be a problem with different frame designs rather than a traditional triangle shape.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    It is also unlikely that this rack would ever be used to haul four bikes at once. Most likely two or three.

It's hard to say, I can't really test it out with different frame thicknesses without having a hitch to mount it in at the same time.

I was browsing Craigslist today and saw a Reese bike rack (albeit it looked to be the type that clamped to a bumper, perhaps on a camper) which looked VERY similar in design to the Coleman. Reese is known for their towing and hauling products. Nearly identical with the exception of the clamp mount versus receiver mount.

Heck, I even saw the Reese Outfitter bike rack that has a ball on the end so that you could still pull a small trailer at the same time. Talk about some HINGE action!

reese-outfitter-bike-rack-lot-25-of-491-reese-outfitter-adventure-system-with-1-78-2000-lb-reese-ball-towing-capacity-2500-lbs-bicycle-rack-hitch-extension-for-4-bicycles-reese-sportwing.jpg

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    It's hard to say, I can't really test it out with different frame thicknesses without having a hitch to mount it in at the same time.

reese-outfitter-bike-rack-lot-25-of-491-reese-outfitter-adventure-system-with-1-78-2000-lb-reese-ball-towing-capacity-2500-lbs-bicycle-rack-hitch-extension-for-4-bicycles-reese-sportwing.jpg

I don't think this style of clamp will work well with a variety of bikes you may end up trying to haul. The Bell rack would allow more flexibility, including upside down.

f109bb59-390a-4715-bd46-5c148973ea40.jpg

4a8032d6a66d71b780ba6e5d964515b1.jpg

0020_everest-300x300.jpg
    41686f220ade7bd06b0072ad99989a1b.jpg

HTB1Cs5NdrZnBKNjSZFGq6zt3FXaK.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you don't have a hitch, and you don't really plan to haul 4 bikes at once, is there a reason you're limiting yourself to hitch mounted four bike carriers?

What vehicle type will you be using?

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    If you don't have a hitch, and you don't really plan to haul 4 bikes at once, is there a reason you're limiting yourself to hitch mounted four bike carriers?

What vehicle type will you be using?

It's just something to keep around for "potential" future use, but I don't want to keep both around. We have a sedan and an SUV currently, although that could change. There are no plans to buy a hitch any time soon.

I used to have a 2003 Toyota Camry V6, I installed a hitch and trailer wiring but only ever toted around a cargo basket. I sold the car 8 months later. It was kind of dumb to buy the hitch and install it just to end up selling the car later...oh well. The cargo basket was handy but not the most sturdy. However I did transport a 1980s Troy-Bilt garden tiller in the basket without incident, surprisingly. I sold the basket too for a profit actually. I would not buy a basket with a hinge in the future, however. I liked the ability to have the basket attached to the car but have it upright without hanging off of the back, but I felt as if the hinge was a potential weak spot.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The only time I could think about using a hitch mounted rack would be if I had some kind of cover/topper on a pickup truck and I didn't want to mess with it to stick bikes in the bed.

Otherwise I would either have a trunk mounted or a roof mounted rack for a car and a couple of these for my truck bed;
    8001117.jpg

Screw them to a board. When ready to haul bikes, throw the board in the truck, bolt you forks to them, add a strap maybe and off you go!

Just my :twocents: and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I have toted bikes, both cheap and expensive from here to Wisconsin, Iowa and other points as well as local. Other than picking up some bug stains, I have never had any damage done or lost a bike.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    The only time I could think about using a hitch mounted rack would be if I had some kind of cover/topper on a pickup truck and I didn't want to mess with it to stick bikes in the bed.

Otherwise I would either have a trunk mounted or a roof mounted rack for a car and a couple of these for my truck bed;
    8001117.jpg

Screw them to a board. When ready to haul bikes, throw the board in the truck, bolt you forks to them, add a strap maybe and off you go!

Just my :twocents: and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I have toted bikes, both cheap and expensive from here to Wisconsin, Iowa and other points as well as local. Other than picking up some bug stains, I have never had any damage done or lost a bike.

My Father's 2003 Honda Element came special order with two similar fork brackets mounted to the spare tire cover. When he sold it I removed them and put them on a 2x6 that he used in the next two Ford Vans that he has had since then. He can remove the 2x6 with the brackets now when not in use or put it in and has the capability to haul two bicycles in his van side by side. Basically the same concept you described!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My Father's 2003 Honda Element came special order with two similar fork brackets mounted to the spare tire cover. When he sold it I removed them and put them on a 2x6 that he used in the next two Ford Vans that he has had since then. He can remove the 2x6 with the brackets now when not in use or put it in and has the capability to haul two bicycles in his van side by side. Basically the same concept you described!

i did the same when my company car was a minivan (ugh). It worked even better enclosed.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I did the hitch mount rack and got a 4 bike Saris Bones that the bikes hang from and strap to that keep them from swinging.

Here were the reasons I got that one: The rack itself is aluminum and light so my wife can handle it if she uses it without me around. This happens more than I would have ever imagined. She can mount the rack and put her bike on and off she goes. Roof mount was out of the question because she could not get the bike on/off of it.

The strap on rack is harder and more time consuming to put on.

Racks that the bikes stand on is heavier.

We took bikes to SW FL and the rack was fine. Wife has no problem dealing with it when I am not around and that makes both of us happy. And I have zero worries it is going to break or have a bike fall off.

One other consideration with hanging bike racks is the style of frame. Wife has a girls type that doesn't fit the hanging style well and had to get a removable crossbar. Any bike store has them. Clamps to seat post and handle bar post.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    Speaking of the removable crossbar, I do have one. It came with one of the racks but have never taken it out of the box. I think there is a broken piece, the seller mentioned. Whatever the piece is, it was not significant.

Like I said this is a rare thing, we are more local bikers, but if I was going to hold one to one of the two racks, which I am, which one would be the one to keep, since I definitely won't be keeping both. Not a hoarder ;)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Thule is the way. Anything else will ruin your bicycling and travelling experience and possibly someone else's day when a rogue bike comes flying into their vehicle on the hwy.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I can’t tell you the brand but I have a hitch mounted three bike carrier. Instead of hanging bikes, the bike tires sit on the rack. Each wheel gets a strap, there is also an upright (adjustable) post that a strap attached to the frame. Then a longer strap goes around all the bikes. I have done 75 mph and the bikes don’t move. The rack folds up to not take up as much space if not in use. I didn’t like hanging bike carriers as the bikes didn’t seem as secure.

Top Bottom