Farmers not planting crops. How much will it affect hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Im more worried about the spike in prices of goods. Its not just Indiana thats behind on planting crops. Its pretty widespread. Will have a price effect on grain this year, but i also believe will impact beef, pork, and chicken prices next year when the feed silos are empty from previous years crops.

I do imagine it will impact hunting as well but to what extent remains to be seen.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Planting late is more of a reality than not planting. Indiana has 22% of its corn in as of yesterday.

Plan on bow hunting over a standing crop. Probably gun season too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think if the rain doesnt stop soon, you will see a lot of farmers leaving fields bare, and turning it over to insurance. I dont ever remember the midwest as a whole being this far behind. I know for a fact we have never been this late.

As far as hunting it will help some folks, hurt others. If the farm you hunt is the only one in the area with crops you will see a ton of deer. If the farm you hunt is in a dead area you won't see much.

I personally dont think you will see huge areas not planted. I think it will be more of a field here and there.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My understanding is that soybeans have a much shorter growing time and can be planted much later in the season than corn. So, I would think worst case we have a glut of soybeans and a shortage of corn this year.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Less than a month ago our local media was parading local farmers in front of the camera bemoaning how Trump's tariff war with China was going to cause a glut in this fall's corn and bean harvest and now I read here fear of empty silos instead due to weather. What's it going to be....can't be both.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    Heard this morning that the USDA is reporting only 58% of corn is planted. Reporter said markets were expecting a record low of 68% planted by Memorial Day, but ended up being even worse than that with a new record low of 58% planted.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    https://www.kokomotribune.com/news/...cle_02b75e4e-8187-11e9-b44e-cb27dd8b3a3f.html

So, it looks like a lot of farmers are considering not planting this year. What affect, if any, would this have on hunting

With no corn crop I would definitely expect a significant shift in the normal patterns on our farm. If the farmer leaves the fields which would normally have been planted in corn alone you can bet we'll be planting some sweet corn on our own. I'd think a season without corn on our place would have a significant impact on the survival rate of the herd.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If I recall correctly, deer have a fairly hard time actually digesting corn. They like to eat it, but it doesn't do them a whole lot of good.

It will be less cover for them during the summer and fall, and I think that is a bigger issue than their diet. Just one man's opinion.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If I recall correctly, deer have a fairly hard time actually digesting corn. They like to eat it, but it doesn't do them a whole lot of good.

It will be less cover for them during the summer and fall, and I think that is a bigger issue than their diet. Just one man's opinion.

Having looked at a substantial amount of deer dung over the years I'm not sure I'd agree. It appears they digest it better than people do if you know what I mean.:):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Beans I remember going in late from my ag days. We used to plant them after combining winter wheat. Yield was lower but it beat having the field fill up with ragweed.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My cousin (a farmer) shared a post on FB the other day that included this paragraph. I'm not sure crop insurance applies if there is no crop planted....

June 5 and June 20 are looming. Those are dates that if the fields do not get planted, crop insurance isn’t an option. If fields aren’t planted until then there is no help if the crop, when it does get planted, isn’t up to par. Livelihoods are on the line and ways of life of many of our neighbors who have for their lifetimes and their father’s lifetimes and their father’s father’s lifetimes made farming their trade. Why should we care? We should obviously care because of the human factor. But take that out of the equation and realize that when the fields you see are dotted in yellow and not full of green when May turns to June - it will affect you - at the grocery store, gas pump, and in many other areas. Because we are all - as a society - connected.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana

I'd have to disagree with that as well. As mentioned above they seem to digest the corn here very well too. Also helps fatten them up a little and keeps them hanging around.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'd have to disagree with that as well. As mentioned above they seem to digest the corn here very well too. Also helps fatten them up a little and keeps them hanging around.

Nutritionally deficient compared to their normal browse IIRC. Same problem we have with it. Delicious, high energy food. Just not particularly good for you.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Much of the corn that gets planted will likely have a somewhat later harvest so that will effect deer visibility longer into hunting season. Many farmers that intended to plant corn will not automatically switch to beans so some fields will likely go unplanted. Others will be planted in cover crops, which may provide some food for deer, though likely not into late season. More farmers will likely consider planting winter wheat since they were likely already intending to follow this year's corn with beans next year. The wheat will provide a food source for the deer throughout the fall and winter but lacks the carbohydrate density of corn. On top of that, the acorn crop is likely to be pretty poor this year after a really good crop last year. Could be a tough fall/winter for deer but they should move more looking for food, increasing sightings and harvest opportunity. Though that will likely be boom or bust depending on the availability of food on your hunting property.

Nutritionally deficient compared to their normal browse IIRC. Same problem we have with it. Delicious, high energy food. Just not particularly good for you.

Correct, corn is great at providing carbohydrates but not much good for anything else.

Top Bottom