Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Hop

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indiucky View Post
    Two years ago at the farm...

Is that a hognose?

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Rattleheadedcoppermocasin!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Is that a hognose?
    Curious myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Is that a hognose?
    That's my guess. Eastern Hognose.

User Info Menu

Yes it is a hognose. If the "I'm a big, dangerous venomous snake!" ruse doesn't work, it will writhe around for a few seconds and turn on its back with its tongue hanging out. It will be as limp as a rope if you pick it up. If you set it down on its stomach, it will turn over on its back again. Apparently its limited programming says that all dead snakes must be on their backs.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spencer rifle View Post
    Yes it is a hognose. If the "I'm a big, dangerous venomous snake!" ruse doesn't work, it will writhe around for a few seconds and turn on its back with its tongue hanging out. It will be as limp as a rope if you pick it up. If you set it down on its stomach, it will turn over on its back again. Apparently its limited programming says that all dead snakes must be on their backs.
    They'll throw up as well if all else fails...

And yes that is an eastern hognose...lives by our soybean field....
    Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    Those are Copperheads pictured. The DNR info on the Cotton Mouth is correct. Contrary to popular opinion, they are only found in one county in Indiana. Most people see a water snake and assume it is a water moccasin.
    I don't see how anyone could confuse a famously thick bodied snake like a moc/mouth with almost any other NA snake. The only snakes at heavy are outside the US and look nothing like cottonmouths.

And if you have to be bitten by one, you would MUCH rather be bitten by a copperhead than a cottonmouth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    I don't see how anyone could confuse a famously thick bodied snake like a moc/mouth with almost any other NA snake. The only snakes at heavy are outside the US and look nothing like cottonmouths.

And if you have to be bitten by one, you would MUCH rather be bitten by a copperhead than a cottonmouth.
    I see it all the time. At our local swimming hole I had a family rush their kids out of the water when a "water moccasin" swam by. Being way up north here, I tried to convince them that we were FAR out of range, but all they did was pull up a pic on their phone and insist it looked just like that. Didn't bother to check a range map or do any research or trust me, who actually works there every day.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

Plinker

User Info Menu

Copperheads are always outta control ticked.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast