• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Caught in Anderson... I think it's an Eastern Garter, but no picture shows the bright orange under the scales...

5EVf503.jpg

Leau5Aj.jpg

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I agree that it is some sort of Garter snake, probably an Eastern, but could be a Butler's. The problem with the colors are that they can vary widely between the same species.

Ron

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    They can give you a nasty cut if they bite and you jerk. And they usually poop on you immediately after you pick them up and it smells VILE!

Other than that, fairly harmless !

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Caught in Anderson... I think it's an Eastern Garter, but no picture shows the bright orange under the scales...

5EVf503.jpg

Looks like a nice friendly one. Those guys normally poop all over you when you catch them.

I kept a garter snake about that size for my kids for a while when they were younger. We'd put feeder goldfish in his water bowl and he would repeatedly dive head-first into the bowl until he caught one, and then he'd swallow it head-first and dive in for another. It was fun to watch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Looks like a nice friendly one. Those guys normally poop all over you when you catch them.

I kept a garter snake about that size for my kids for a while when they were younger. We'd put feeder goldfish in his water bowl and he would repeatedly dive head-first into the bowl until he caught one, and then he'd swallow it head-first and dive in for another. It was fun to watch.

That seems easier and cleaner than trying to find a supply of teeny tiny little mice to feed it!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    So as not to offend anybody's delicate feelings with the reality that venomous snakes are pretty common in certain areas. How about a kinder, gentler Black Rat Snake.

8C4E0A72-D856-4643-ADA0-CC610D31F386_zpsgg71qwyp.png

Top Bottom