• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    In all my years of deer hunting, about 30 years, I have never once seen an albino deer.

The other day, a buddy of mine in Crown Point forwarded a photo of an albino deer, that another buddy of his in Crown Point looked out the window and just saw it laying in his back yard!

Don't know what the chances are of that, but must be "purdy dern slim".

Beautiful freak of nature.

Albino%20Deer%20Crown%20Point_zps5f1mis0w.jpg

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My brother saw one somewhere near 153rd and 9 mile stretch in the early 80's. I should edit that is just SE of Crown Point

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I used to see some when I was going to work, every day for 3 days. Someone posted it on Fakebook and they moved.

That is an awesome sight to see in the back yard.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Discussion:

The first AKC registered shepherd's grandfather was a white sheep dog, bred for herding. There's 2 genes in the hair follicle. If one is dominant over the other, the dog is white. And both parents would have to carry the dominant gene. If the other gene is dominant, dog is black.
    I know a deer is not a dog, but it may be the same science. For black or white deer, there would probably have to parents to carry the same dominant gene. It would be luck of the draw for both parents to have the same dominant gene.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Discussion:

The first AKC registered shepherd's grandfather was a white sheep dog, bred for herding. There's 2 genes in the hair follicle. If one is dominant over the other, the dog is white. And both parents would have to carry the dominant gene. If the other gene is dominant, dog is black.
    I know a deer is not a dog, but it may be the same science. For black or white deer, there would probably have to parents to carry the same dominant gene. It would be luck of the draw for both parents to have the same dominant gene.

I'm not sure exactly how many are involved in deer but the genes that cause albinism and melanism(black) are definitely recessive, hence the rarity. These abnormal colorations may be locally more common in some places (melanistic deer inthe hill country of Texas for example), especially where inbreeding is common.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    But what causes the "palomino" deer (white with brown spots) that sometimes appear? I used to see a lot of them near the gun range in Bloomington.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Maybe the same one. Theres one on the north side of lowell. Ive seen pictures from the past few years of it wondering around one side of town to the other.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    But what causes the "palomino" deer (white with brown spots) that sometimes appear? I used to see a lot of them near the gun range in Bloomington.

I believe it is a different type of mutation that affects the same gene as albinism. Unlike the mutation that leads to albinism, some pigment is produced but not as much as a normal deer so you get piebald deer that are part brown and part white.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    There is an albino doe that stays on the adjoining property to ours . She has been there for roughly 8 years now . It has taken up residence with the farmers cattle , wherever they go she goes . Once hunting season rolls around he usually moves the cattle to a more secluded area away from the road . She's free to roam if she wants but seems content to stay with them .

Several years back there was a albino buck as well . I only seen him a couple times , the last time was probably 2-3 years ago . I'm not sure what happened to him . He would travel quite a bit , so I assume he was probably taken during deer season .

Pretty cool to be able to see her on almost a daily basis .

Top Bottom