• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    So my wife told me that we could look in to setting up an Alaska guided moose hunt. As chance would have it, a mutual friend married an Alaska resident a few years back and they are in the guide business. So while I'm saving my spare change over the next 3-5 years...

What rifle system should I look to procure?
    I have a 30-06 and have been playing with reloads that are good for deer, but the rifle I have is a mid 90's Winchester 74 and I would not take it hunting beyond setting up in the top of a dry barn. I didn't know if the top end of a 30-06 would be suitable for an animal as big as a moose, or if I should look to go 300 mag or something else with a little more punch.

Any tips on essential gear? The extent of my big game hunting so far is just IN whitetail blind/stand hunting.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm sure you will get differing opinions, but from what I've read, 30-06 may be considered on the light side for moose. Understood that a well placed shot with just about anything will kill, .338 win mag or larger is preferred for moose.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    The 06 would work but a 300wm would be better.
    But I wouldnt go with less then a 338.
    If it is a float trip the 450 marlin,458 socom would work well as your shots will be closer brush shots along the river.
    On a horse back trip I would opt for the 338 as you could have longer range shots.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Take the 06.

I agree, I'f you were picking a moose gun the 06 wouldn't be number 1, but if your 06 doesnt kill a moose, you either put the bullet in the wrong place, or used the wrong bullet.

As far as essential gear, GOOD BOOTS. In Indiana I walk 3/4 mile to the stand. I would imagine, most walk less. Boots are not important for a 3/4 mile walk. In AK, you may walk 15+miles a day. Boots are important for 15 miles.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Take the 06.

I agree, I'f you were picking a moose gun the 06 wouldn't be number 1, but if your 06 doesnt kill a moose, you either put the bullet in the wrong place, or used the wrong bullet.

As far as essential gear, GOOD BOOTS. In Indiana I walk 3/4 mile to the stand. I would imagine, most walk less. Boots are not important for a 3/4 mile walk. In AK, you may walk 15+miles a day. Boots are important for 15 miles.

I agree, the 06 will reliably kill anything in North America if the hunter does his part.
    Caliber will not makeup for poor shot placement.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My uncle in law went last year. He took a 300 wm. Said it was a trip of a lifetime, he invited me to go on a moose/caribou hunt this year and I haven't won the lottery yet. Very pricey expedition.

It is on my list of things to do.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well, if you're getting a new gun you could get what a lot of the guides carry, .45-70. When it absolutely has to be dropped right now. YMMV.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Another suggestion in the physical conditioning department. Hiking was already mentioned. Depending on your age and current state of conditioning, you might consider doing some biking or even jogging if able. Some kind of regular cardio-vascular exertion will result in a huge difference when the time comes to be out in the field, especially in the kind of conditions you're likely to encounter in Alaska. Even hunting whitetail here in Indiana, there is a moderate amount of exertion required, walking to the stand with the gear, climbing, dragging a deer out of the woods, etc. I've noticed that in the years I've exercised prior to deer season compared to the years I haven't, it makes a very big difference. I would imagine that's even more important hunting a big critter like a moose in Alaskan terrain. Just my :twocents:.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Another suggestion in the physical conditioning department. Hiking was already mentioned. Depending on your age and current state of conditioning, you might consider doing some biking or even jogging if able. Some kind of regular cardio-vascular exertion will result in a huge difference when the time comes to be out in the field, especially in the kind of conditions you're likely to encounter in Alaska. Even hunting whitetail here in Indiana, there is a moderate amount of exertion required, walking to the stand with the gear, climbing, dragging a deer out of the woods, etc. I've noticed that in the years I've exercised prior to deer season compared to the years I haven't, it makes a very big difference. I would imagine that's even more important hunting a big critter like a moose in Alaskan terrain. Just my :twocents:.

Appreciate that suggestion. I'm 33 and am in reasonably good weight training and strength shape, but I'll definitely need to brush up the cardio. I can do mountain hiking, but not sure how accurate my shot would be if I'm sucking air...my wife puts me to shame in the cardio dept. Runs 3-5 miles for "fun" several times a week.
    I remember seeing on an outdoor hunting guide interview most of missed shots are due to poor shooting or poor cardio shape.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I went a few years back to NewFoundland . I would recommend getting a great pair of boots that are broke in . We were walking close to 10 miles a day in all kinds of terrain (hills and bogs) . Water proof boots are a must . I would also have good rain gear . We always dressed in layers and packed a change of socks and maybe some other clothing in a back pack .

As far as a rifle , I took a 7mm Rem mag , but I think an '06 would do just fine . Our guides told us to aim for a double lung shot and pretty much nothing else . The way they explained it , a moose is large animal and it needs lots of air to keep going . I shot mine at about 150 yds . I took my first shot and it just stood there , so I put another round in it . After the second shot , it left on slow trot behind some brush and collapsed . It probably didn't go more than 40 yds . Both shots were double lung . None of the moose we took that year went more than 100-150 yds .

If I were you , I would talk with your guides . They've done it for years and have seen what works best for their area . Everyone in our group got a moose and we were shooting everything from a .308 to a .338 lapua .

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    As far as boots,make sure you take two pair.
    If you blow one set out,your up a creek without a paddle so to speak!
    Also take rubber boots or hip waders.
    Talk to your guide,they will tell you alot.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If your looking for info on western hunting or Alaska I would highly recommend you check out the rokslide forum. Tons of people willing to help out and point you in the right direction. Just don’t ask them for their spot :):

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Appreciate that suggestion. I'm 33 and am in reasonably good weight training and strength shape, but I'll definitely need to brush up the cardio. I can do mountain hiking, but not sure how accurate my shot would be if I'm sucking air...my wife puts me to shame in the cardio dept. Runs 3-5 miles for "fun" several times a week.
    I remember seeing on an outdoor hunting guide interview most of missed shots are due to poor shooting or poor cardio shape.

You most likely won't be climbing all that many mountains, instead what you will most likely be doing is slogging through bogs, trying to stay on the raised hummocks and out of the low sucking mud where you can easily find yourself stuck up to your waist. I'd suggest buying a good pair of breathable hip waders and doing a lot of hiking in them, preferably with a full pack. You will also need good rain gear because Alaska is very wet. Buy the best you can afford. Same goes for boots. Your guide friend should be able to provide you with gear suggestions and advise you on what works well.

As for a rifle, moose are big but soft. Maine, where I've been applying for a moose tag for years with no success, only has a .243 minimum to hunt moose. Granted the Yukon subspecies is a bit larger and the possibility of encountering an aggressive grizzly is real so you won't want to go that small. It is more important to have a rifle that you can shoot well than to have a larger caliber. Bullet selection is really more important than caliber as well. You probably won't need anything that can reach out to 400 yards nor will you want to limit yourself to short range cartridges like the .45/70. Obviously, you have a lot of cartridges in between that will work well. You should probably find out if your guide will be armed(I can't imagine that they would not be) and if not err on the side of a bit larger round in case of bear encounters.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    A 30-06 is plenty for moose. My hunting partner has killed 3 Shiras, and 1 Alaskan and 1 Yukon with a .264 shooting a 140 gain bullet. The moose will not be able to tell the difference if you shoot him with a .300 win mag shooting a 180 grain bullet of a 30-06 shooting a 180 grain bullet. Both will kill him deader than a door nail.

Dirty Steve

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, and they'll hit the same if you're just a bit closer w the '06.
    Amazing how so many people can't grasp that.

Had a pseudo engineer at work claim his .300 winmag was great for elk and that the .30-06 wasn't worth a damn.
    He spoke of being able to shoot them past 400 yards.
    Of course he took a 500 yarder according to a witness and missed.
    Genius.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Almost anything bigger than a 22 cal is good for moose. I'd take a .270, 6.5.x55 Swede, or 30.06 140-180gr bullets and more than confident that I have enough firepower. On moose, broadside shots only.

Who wants to blow their shoulder off shooting a moose or anything else?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom