• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Well its mid-June, and I looked and didn't see anything before...so why not a thread now?

Prior to about 6 weeks ago, I hadn't done much fishing in the last 15 or so years...college, moving for work, having babies, etc. Last fall we moved into a neighborhood in Floyd Co. with a small stocked lake, and late this spring I decided to wet a line and kinda got hooked again given the convenience of a 7 minute walk to the water.

I've caught a lot of largemouth (most in the 12" range, largest about 15") and bluegill, most of which are pretty large. Far and away my most productive lures have been Rooster Tails, especifically 1/8oz Glitter Black or 1/8-1/6oz Black. Did have one day where I caught 7 bass in an hour with a 1/8oz mini Strike King buzzbait and have caught a handful of largemouth with Zman TRD Ned Rigs. Even have caught two channel cats with Rooster Tails...which is a new one for me...

Still consider myself a novice, so curious what does and does not work for others fishing lakes, ponds, streams, rivers, whatever!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I use AC Shiners in rivers and creeks for smallmouth, and ponds and lakes I like the KVD Frogs and poppers. I like top water fishing and usually don’t fish much in the hot summer days. Water is too high to do any good fishing right now

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Depends on species and time of year, water temperature, and other variables. There are standards like beetle spins and others for bluegill and crappie and rapala crankbaits for bass. Most of us have spent lots of money on artificial lures/baits only to end up using only a couple of old reliables.

Or or just put a night crawler or cricket on a hook for panfish.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Just saw this thread.

Hi my name is usmccookie and I'm a fishing addict.
    I have been fishing sober since yesterday and the longest I've gone without fishing is 3 days since I started just over a month and a half ago. I am terrible and rarely catch fish. I love top water and work everyday to get better. I am all ears for tips and tricks. Also, I got my fiancee addicted as well. Bluegill was my gateway fish.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'll generally run 3 rigged rods on any given trip. The go to's on those rods depend on time of year, and patterns I am seeing, but often a lipless rattle bait, a spinner bait, and a jig with a craw trailer. That may change from time to time, and include a topwater of some sort, or a square billed crank bait (depth depends on conditions, etc). Color wise, I try to match the hatch, often shad colors, etc again depending on time of year/water conditions, etc.

Occasionally 4th rigged rod will join in as well.

I like to cover water and I don't want to change baits, etc to just change up my presentation. I also have rods/reels that are setup for certain types of baits, so that is another reason for the multiple rigged rods on any given trip.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'll generally run 3 rigged rods on any given trip. The go to's on those rods depend on time of year, and patterns I am seeing, but often a lipless rattle bait, a spinner bait, and a jig with a craw trailer. That may change from time to time, and include a topwater of some sort, or a square billed crank bait (depth depends on conditions, etc). Color wise, I try to match the hatch, often shad colors, etc again depending on time of year/water conditions, etc.

Occasionally 4th rigged rod will join in as well.

I like to cover water and I don't want to change baits, etc to just change up my presentation. I also have rods/reels that are setup for certain types of baits, so that is another reason for the multiple rigged rods on any given trip.

I have been taking more rods lately. I used to think it was dumb until I took 2 one day. The not having to change over as often really let me enjoy my time better. Thinking about trying out a baitcaster soon, but I have some reading to do first

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Could've been a good thread... the wife and I each caught our pb bass yesterday.
    Then i went and bought my 1st baitcaster today since i snapped the tip off my favorite medium rod.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A few weeks ago I started using Smelt-colored Gulp! Minnows and they have become my go-to bait.

1” minnow with a 1/48oz jighead or a 2.5” minnow with 1/16oz jighead, cast and let sink to bottom then a slow retrieve while frequently twitching/shaking the rod tip a bit for a realistic bait action. Sort of a finesse retrieve ala Ned Rig, but a bit faster.

Caught bluegill (number of 9”+ bulls), LMB, white and black crappie, even a 3lb channel catfish with them.

The 1” minnow will catch more fish, but the 2.5” will catch bigger fish on average.

The 3500 box this fish is on is 9.13” long...

6523b63c66faefac80cc2f6a3e45ad31.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    A few weeks ago I started using Smelt-colored Gulp! Minnows and they have become my go-to bait.

1” minnow with a 1/48oz jighead or a 2.5” minnow with 1/16oz jighead, cast and let sink to bottom then a slow retrieve while frequently twitching/shaking the rod tip a bit for a realistic bait action. Sort of a finesse retrieve ala Ned Rig, but a bit faster.

Caught bluegill (number of 9”+ bulls), LMB, white and black crappie, even a 3lb channel catfish with them.

The 1” minnow will catch more fish, but the 2.5” will catch bigger fish on average.

The 3500 box this fish is on is 9.13” long...

6523b63c66faefac80cc2f6a3e45ad31.jpg

:yesway: that's awesome! What conditions do you look for to find big bluegill like that?
    Gulp alive jigging minnows are my go to when im clueless. The wife caught a 2lb largemouth on a 1 inch using her ultralight 5'6" spinner and a size 8 alberedene? Hook.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A bull gill on an UL rod is fun; I have a 5’ telescoping spinning UL with 6lb test and sometimes the big guys fight sorts like smallies.

Our neighborhood lake only has bank access in certain areas, no watercraft allowed, and is mud bottom - practically no weeds/vegetation due to grass carp. I’ve had luck finding the big guys near the overflow stand pipe waiting to snag lost fry, parallel to rock banks and along points in 3-5’ where nests seem to be.

Bass and crappie stalk the gill beds...

There’s a ledge where water is 5-6ft deep before dropping off to 12-15’, and along that ledge has been fairly productive too.

If I could get into people’s backyards that see no pressure, or get a kayak out there...hoo boy...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    A bull gill on an UL rod is fun; I have a 5’ telescoping spinning UL with 6lb test and sometimes the big guys fight sorts like smallies.

Our neighborhood lake only has bank access in certain areas, no watercraft allowed, and is mud bottom - practically no weeds/vegetation due to grass carp. I’ve had luck finding the big guys near the overflow stand pipe waiting to snag lost fry, parallel to rock banks and along points in 3-5’ where nests seem to be.

Bass and crappie stalk the gill beds...

There’s a ledge where water is 5-6ft deep before dropping off to 12-15’, and along that ledge has been fairly productive too.

If I could get into people’s backyards that see no pressure, or get a kayak out there...hoo boy...

Those u.l. rods are a hoot!!

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Ever since I was a youngun I have used a Lazy Ike for bass. It is like 3 lures in one. You can reel it steady like a crank bait, twitch it on top like a Rapala or pulse it as a diving top water.

Prefer the 3" long ones.

When pulsing as a diving top water it tends to work slightly backwards when rising, sometimes this will make a bass that was just watching bite out of reflex.

Down in Florida as a kid I had my line snap on a cast sending my grand dads Lazy Ike into the middle of the lake. I swam past gators and snakes to get it back, still have it to this day.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Took my 9 year old out yesterday afternoon; we each caught 9"+ bluegills on Gulp minnows which was nice considering the gills weren't biting yesterday as they were two days previous.

Saw two nice bass chasing small bluegill, shad (shiners?) and fry around the banks in full sun, and decided to try a 2" Rapala floating minnow.

Result? My personal best LMB. Fish was a hair over 19" long, and didn't get a weight because my nine year old thought the scale would hurt the fish. A buddy who does kayak fishing competitions estimates it at 3.5lb; I caught a channel cat a couple weeks ago that weighed in right at 3 and this fish seemed heavier.

TON of fun on a 5' ultralight rig; after I hooked it I gave the pole to my son who worked it in, listening to it pull drag, and once he saw how big the fish was yelled "You take over dad!"

65826075_10111886452011818_4859758050929541120_n.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Ever since I was a youngun I have used a Lazy Ike for bass. It is like 3 lures in one. You can reel it steady like a crank bait, twitch it on top like a Rapala or pulse it as a diving top water.

Prefer the 3" long ones.

When pulsing as a diving top water it tends to work slightly backwards when rising, sometimes this will make a bass that was just watching bite out of reflex.

Down in Florida as a kid I had my line snap on a cast sending my grand dads Lazy Ike into the middle of the lake. I swam past gators and snakes to get it back, still have it to this day.

I checked those lazy ikes out last night online. They are some real old school lures. I might have to try one out some day.

Took my 9 year old out yesterday afternoon; we each caught 9"+ bluegills on Gulp minnows which was nice considering the gills weren't biting yesterday as they were two days previous.

Saw two nice bass chasing small bluegill, shad (shiners?) and fry around the banks in full sun, and decided to try a 2" Rapala floating minnow.

Result? My personal best LMB. Fish was a hair over 19" long, and didn't get a weight because my nine year old thought the scale would hurt the fish. A buddy who does kayak fishing competitions estimates it at 3.5lb; I caught a channel cat a couple weeks ago that weighed in right at 3 and this fish seemed heavier.

TON of fun on a 5' ultralight rig; after I hooked it I gave the pole to my son who worked it in, listening to it pull drag, and once he saw how big the fish was yelled "You take over dad!"

65826075_10111886452011818_4859758050929541120_n.jpg
    That's an awesome fish! On an u.l. no less. Congrats!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Caught a coupe of mangrove snappers off the dock yesterday. Not big but those suckers fight like a smallmouth on steroids.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Top Bottom