• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I'm planning on deer hunting for the first time this coming season, but the wording of the regulations has me confused. Mainly concerning bag limit.

With an archery license is that good for 2 anterless OR 1 antlered and 1 antlerless, or is it 1 animal for each license?

I'm confused because under the license requirements for archery, it shows 2 antlerless or 1 and 1, but in the FAQs it says you are allowed to purchase and fill 2 archery licenses for 2 antlerless OR 1 and 1. So does that mean 2 deer total or 2 deer per license for 4 total?

The bundle allows 3 total and they word it like that's the better deal which makes me think regular archery is 1 animal per license for a total of 2.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It is one animal per license. The archery bag limit is 2 deer, either 2 antlerless or one antlered and one antlerless. You can also use bonus antlerless licenses during archery season up to the bonus antlerless limit for the county(s) that you hunt. Bonus antlerless licenses are separate from standard season licenses and good for any season. The bundle is usually a better deal as it gives you multiple licenses for a reduced price.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    It is one animal per license. The archery bag limit is 2 deer, either 2 antlerless or one antlered and one antlerless. You can also use bonus antlerless licenses during archery season up to the bonus antlerless limit for the county(s) that you hunt. Bonus antlerless licenses are separate from standard season licenses and good for any season. The bundle is usually a better deal as it gives you multiple licenses for a reduced price.

Okay so if I get the bundle am I still only allowed to take 2 with archery, or is the 3rd still legal with bow and just counts toward the bonus quota?

Archery actually runs the entire season correct? So theoretically you can harvest 2 plus whatever county bonuses all with archery?

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Okay so if I get the bundle am I still only allowed to take 2 with archery, or is the 3rd still legal with bow and just counts toward the bonus quota?

Archery actually runs the entire season correct? So theoretically you can harvest 2 plus whatever county bonuses all with archery?

Yes, the third is still legal with a bow and would just count toward the bonus quota. If you are hunting in Wells, Benton or Tipton Counties (A Counties) you would not be able to legally use a bonus antlerless tag (ie. the 3rd tag) until late season (after firearms season ends) regardless of weapon.

Correct and correct.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Yes, the third is still legal with a bow and would just count toward the bonus quota. If you are hunting in Wells, Benton or Tipton Counties (A Counties) you would not be able to legally use a bonus antlerless tag (ie. the 3rd tag) until late season (after firearms season ends) regardless of weapon.

Correct and correct.

So really the bundle is just an all season license plus 1 bonus? And it really only saves you money if you fill all 3 as opposed to buying one, filling it, buying another, etc.?

I don't know why they don't word it more simply.

This part about the bundle, almost makes it seem like you have to hunt with a firearm during firearms season:

"You can hunt for your antlered deer during archery season while filling antlerless bags. If you do not have an antlered deer come by during archery season, pick up a legal firearm and go out during firearms season"

I realize its talking specifically about the 1 antlered deer limit, but wouldn't I still be able to hunt for that 1 buck if I just kept using a bow instead of a firearm?

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The bundle is three tags sold at discount.

You could use em all as bonus, all as reg.....or a combination of bonus and reg.

The flexibility IMHO is more of a reason to buy than the cost savings. However.....some of us take only one or two deer a year.

By choice.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I quit bow hunting some years back, between gun and MZ season I get everything i can eat in a year.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you shoot two does in early bow.....and register them as archery kills.....youre done bohunting as far as regular season goes

So no.....you could not bowhunt for a buck

If you shoot a doe w bow and register it as a bonus county antlerless kill......then you still can take two deer as regular archery. Another two does.....or a doe and a buck..

To not screw yourself.....register the 1st or 2nd doe kill as a bonus and not reg archery kill. Of course this assumes youre hunting in an early bow season bonus county

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Ahh well I guess the bundle doesn't really matter for me because I will be hunting DNR properties and I see that you can't bag bonus antlerless on them. So looks like I'll just bow hunt from start to finish.

I'm assuming you don't have to buy both archery tags at once? You can bag one then buy another to try for a second?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I really can't stand the DNR site. I'm planning on hunting Jasper-Pulaski and Willow Slough.

Under Willow Sloughs property information it says that Willow Slough has deer and dove hunting rules specific to the property. It doesnt say what these specific rules are?
    Maybe I'm overthinking a bit, but how are hunters supposed to stay 100% within regulations when it takes 4 different web pages to only get MOST of the hunting info?

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I really can't stand the DNR site. I'm planning on hunting Jasper-Pulaski and Willow Slough.

Under Willow Sloughs property information it says that Willow Slough has deer and dove hunting rules specific to the property. It doesnt say what these specific rules are?
    Maybe I'm overthinking a bit, but how are hunters supposed to stay 100% within regulations when it takes 4 different web pages to only get MOST of the hunting info?

You will most likely have to get a property permit to hunt Willow Slough or check-in in some fashion before hunting so there's little need to have the specifics on the DNR page when you are going to have to be in contact with someone at Willow Slough anyway. It is always a good idea to contact someone at the property you want to hunt anyway because they can probably help point you in the right direction and save some time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The bundle would still be your best bet.
    You can use it for multiple seasons, and for either antlered or antlerless deer.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    You will most likely have to get a property permit to hunt Willow Slough or check-in in some fashion before hunting so there's little need to have the specifics on the DNR page when you are going to have to be in contact with someone at Willow Slough anyway. It is always a good idea to contact someone at the property you want to hunt anyway because they can probably help point you in the right direction and save some time.

You have grab a game check in card to go into the field, but those are in boxes outside the headquarters. You don't talk to anyone to get them. The headquarters isn't always staffed except for draws.

Top Bottom