• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Been looking for a GPS app for outdoors activities, and I haven't found anything that really meets my needs. Looking for:

-Extensive AllTrails-level trail maps

-Ability to overlay good topo maps

-Ability to download topos for offline use and kill all but the GPS reciever to save battery

-Ability to drop GPS markers and label them to mark possible hunting spots, campsites, points of interest, etc

The AllTrails app is okay but lacks the ability to mark places. What do you guys use?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I use the paid version of AllTrails. I haven't found anything better for a phone yet. Problem is the phone GPS isn't nearly as good as a handheld. I got spun all around in Alaska using my phone. I should have consulted my handheld and verified we were on the correct course. Stupid me. It cost us getting to a glacier. We were getting short on time & had to turn back. :(

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pesonally, I prefer a purpose built GPS vs an app when in the woods.

-No worry about running your phone's battery down so you cant call for help if necessary.
    -No worry of the app not working due to no internet deep in the woods with no ability to update the maps.
    -No worry about taking up a significant amount of phone memory for maps s that the previous scenario cant happen, preventing you from using your phone to its fullest day to day.

When in the woods on extended hikes where I need GPS, I prefer my phone to be safely in my pack inside a Pelican case, safe from shock and water. Not in my hand where I have to worry whether my Otterbox is actually going to work as planned.

In that case I'm a Garmin fan.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I’ve always been under the impression that cell phones triangulate towers to obtain a location.

They do that partially, that is assisted GPS. I know that Android phones also use data collected from wireless hotspots to help get a fix. The wireless hotspot does not have to be open Google collects the SSID data and where it is located and uses that to speed up getting your location.

You can get apps in the Play Store that willl tell you how well your phone GPS connects to the GPS satellites. GPS Status and Toolbox and GPS Test are two of those. They can show you how fast your phone fixes your position and how strong the GPS signal is.

I second whoever said that it would be best to use a dedicated GPS device for off road use. Some of these devices can even send/receive texts and act as an emergency beacon. Here is a review of some. I don't own or endorse any of these.

There are forums for GPS users that will have great info on which devices are best and on resources such as topographical maps that are available. GpsPassion is one, there are others.

Also if you are going to be where you need a GPS for survival there are many small portable solar charging devices that are easy to carry to keep your phone and a GPS device charged.

Top Bottom