• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Anybody use Onyx Maps ? If so, results - helpful or not ? I am considering an out of state hunt for pronghorn in Wyoming. It’s my my understanding that there isn’t much public and what there is is tough to get to. Further, I have also heard sometimes the locals aren’t real happy if you stray on to private property.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I used OnX Maps several years ago for a pronghorn hunt in Nebraska. I found the basic version very helpful as very little of the public land was marked and private land was intermixed in most areas. The OnX Maps were the only way to know property lines much of the time. Whether or not they would be useful in Wyoming would depend a lot on how much public land is available in the area that you are hunting. Some areas have a lot of public land but tags are much harder to draw in those areas. Other areas have very little and consequently tags are easier to acquire. I'm not sure if OnX Maps include private land open to public access or not which may be your best option for good hunting in some areas.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I used it in western Colorado back in '17. Very helpful. Just make sure that you down load your hunt area onto your phone before you go if you are hunting in an area with no cell service. You will still be ale to use the GPS locator with the down loaded maps so you will be able to see your locations on the maps.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Not only will locals be pissed if you wander on to private property in Wyoming, but depending on where you are hunting, outfitters will run you off of (or try) public land they are hunting on, claiming it is private. The maps work well but sometimes roads leading to public land cross private land and are private roads. You cannot cross them without permission.

Dirty Steve

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I used onX for awhile, but switched to Huntstand. It is much cheaper with almost all of the features of OnX. It does not give landowner home addresses though, just names. It does a good job of showing public land and property boundaries.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    I used onX for awhile, but switched to Huntstand. It is much cheaper with almost all of the features of OnX. It does not give landowner home addresses though, just names. It does a good job of showing public land and property boundaries.

Again I think it is helpful to understand property lines in unfamiliar areas or a new lease. We also found it helpful to pin our tree stands / cameras last year as it was our first year on this particular lease.

Top Bottom