Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

Pileated Woodpeckers

We have always had Pileated Woodpeckers on our property but yesterday was a first. I saw three full grown adults in the same place at the same time.

I am not sure if this means they are increasing in number or what, but it is nice to see...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

User Info Menu

I haven't seen one in awhile.

User Info Menu

We have a pair that nested in the neighbor's tree. They visit our peanut feeder pretty often. Like to dive-bomb my wife when she is working in the flower beds. They have a distinctive sound when flying. Can hear them coming.

Put out shelled peanuts, and you will likely start getting woodpeckers. We have a ton of Downy and Red-Bellied, and the Pileated comes around pretty often. Had a Northern Flicker a week or so ago.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

Plinker

User Info Menu

I've noticed more on my property too, but I think I have an infestation of bugs. I noticed a dead ash tree that was nearly completely debarked. I'm assuming emerald ash borers.

Expert

User Info Menu

I see them quite often, along with every other woodpecker variety, EXCEPT red headed woodpeckers. Not the common red-bellied woodpecker with a red head patch, but the red headed with a FULL red head. The only redheaded woodpecker I have seen in ten years was dead on the road.
    With so many places beating dicks I think it's gonna hurt dicks bad.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

We have several pileateds here. They are sooo sharp eyed. They have us trained too. If we don't have the suet out soon enough they tap on the aluminum threshold to let us know, "hey, hurry up. we're hungry out here." I saw a redheaded just a week or two ago (not on my prop.) Been a long time since I've seen one. It was in a different habitat than my property.

Expert

User Info Menu

These were fascinated with a cedar fence post for some reason. We do have literally hundreds of dead ash for them.

I know what kind of firewood I will be burning this year, and the next, and the next...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hkindiana View Post
    I see them quite often, along with every other woodpecker variety, EXCEPT red headed woodpeckers. Not the common red-bellied woodpecker with a red head patch, but the red headed with a FULL red head. The only redheaded woodpecker I have seen in ten years was dead on the road.
    I have 2 pair of red heads hanging around my feeders,plus several pileated and red bellieds.4-5 flying squirrels at night.The red heads are beautiful!

User Info Menu

I have tons of woodpeckers here. The pileated ate every little ornamental crabapple off of the tree behind my kitchen this spring and are having a field day on the trees that have ants in them. I have seen flickers, and red headed woodpeckers and tons of the downy woodpeckers. The downy ones actually drink from my oriole feeders...I had no idea they would do that but I have it on my trail camera that I had put up to try to see just how many orioles I had.
    L.F.F.L.

Follow my son's journey as he travels Europe on this thread.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...adventure.html or on FB https://www.facebook.com/AnthonyBrooksArt/ . He has been posting more on the Art page than his Sketchy Travels page that he started when he left on this trip.

User Info Menu

I would imagine that anything eating the EAB grubs and beetles would be doing well.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast