• ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Wrong Way PAINTED Turtle

I was over at a lake in NWI today and saw what we all thought was a strange sight. A Box turtle with about a 8 inch long and 5 inch wide shell was 200 ft from a 150 acre lake on a steep hill 35ft above the water level and heading away from the lake. In the 5 minutes or so we watched it it went about 25ft and disappeared into some bushes. We had other things to do and did not look for it again. There is no body of water within a mile from where that turtle was heading. If he continued on his path he would go another 125ft where he would cross a road and then into a 1 mile square field which was just planted within the last two weeks. Not sure if the field is beans or corn. Why might it be going that direction? Is this something common?

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    If it was a box turtle, they are land dwellers, and have little use for a lake. If it was an aquatic turtle from the lake, they wander pretty regularly, to find other water, better mating opportunities, egg laying, etc. Nothing to worry about.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Turtles got places to go, turtles got things to do...;)

We had a big snapper wander in from somewhere and try to plant a brood right by our patio.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My bad, when someone said box turtles are land creatures I did a google search and what I saw most closely resembles an Eastern Painted Turtle.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I found this little guy last July, out in the middle of my parched yard, 100s of yards from any water...

dhrraTOl.jpg

I'd guess a bird snagged him and decided he wasn't an easy enough meal and dropped him.:dunno:

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    I was over at a lake in NWI today and saw what we all thought was a strange sight. A Box turtle with about a 8 inch long and 5 inch wide shell was 200 ft from a 150 acre lake on a steep hill 35ft above the water level and heading away from the lake. In the 5 minutes or so we watched it it went about 25ft and disappeared into some bushes. We had other things to do and did not look for it again. There is no body of water within a mile from where that turtle was heading. If he continued on his path he would go another 125ft where he would cross a road and then into a 1 mile square field which was just planted within the last two weeks. Not sure if the field is beans or corn. Why might it be going that direction? Is this something common?

Was a Hare involved???

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Foolproof method for determining the sex of a turtle: Follow it to the gas station and see which bathroom key it gets from the cashier.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    We've had 3 come through our yard in the last 3 weeks and we have a good 30 acres of woods surrounding our home.

Top Bottom