• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My neighbor that I share a 1/2 mile fence line with called yesterday. In the last two years he has lost 3 heifers weighing about 700 pounds each.

On two of those occasions the single culprit was seen and fled by making a 6-8' vertical leap up a tree.

He said it was a cougar but since I have learned from my time on this site those don't exist in the Indiana wild, I assumed it to be a coyote.

It was quite large so I would assume it to be an eastern coy-wolf rather than a western coyote. My question is, has anyone done research on the vertical leaping ability of the coy-wolf?

But it could be a long tailed mono-colored bobcat that took a 700 pound animal out of a heard of 70+ animals.

You decide...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    DNR seems determined to not admit there are cougars here in Indiana. Coyotes don't fare well with cattle. Weren't there a couple mules killed in that area a while back?

Edit: 10-11 years ago I spotted a wolf (red wolf maybe?) south of east fork White River. A pack could go after larger animals.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I don't understand what DNR stands to gain by discrediting cougar sightings. They're in the wildlife business, they should know animals are capable of incredible things, like expanding their territory.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    DNR seems determined to not admit there are cougars here in Indiana. Coyotes don't fare well with cattle. Weren't there a couple mules killed in that area a while back?

Edit: 10-11 years ago I spotted a wolf (red wolf maybe?) south of east fork White River. A pack could go after larger animals.

Yes, that was <10 miles away as the crow flies.

Last year it was seen by my neighbor and his grandson, this year it was seen by his son and grandson. So I am guessing it has something to do with his grandson...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Isn't their scat fajita favored?

....with a just a pinch of cilantro.

2 things have made me look to the trees on my hikes now while living out west.

When chasing what I thought was a coyote at dusk ended up being a huge bobcat (like on steroids) that jumped out of a tree that I had had just walked under 30 seconds prior and watching a rattlesnake climb up a tree/hedge to just over 6 feet to poise in a striking position waiting for momma bird to fly back to her nest.

Granted, these didn't happen in Indiana but I have changed the way I walk the outdoors now because of them.

So what did this critters tail look like?
    And did the grandfather/neighbor actually see anything? Was there anything left of the cows...blood....carcass or did the neighbor's grandson and/or son just take them to fill his freezers?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    When you visit a Mexican restaurant go into the bathroom, if it looks like they recently held a human sacrifice then stick to the chips, salsa and margaritas.

Not that the chips and salsa are "clean", just more than that and the margaritas loose their sanitizing ability...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    ....with a just a pinch of cilantro.

2 things have made me look to the trees on my hikes now while living out west.

When chasing what I thought was a coyote at dusk ended up being a huge bobcat (like on steroids) that jumped out of a tree that I had had just walked under 30 seconds prior and watching a rattlesnake climb up a tree/hedge to just over 6 feet to poise in a striking position waiting for momma bird to fly back to her nest.

Granted, these didn't happen in Indiana but I have changed the way I walk the outdoors now because of them.

So what did this critters tail look like?
    And did the grandfather/neighbor actually see anything? Was there anything left of the cows...blood....carcass or did the neighbor's grandson and/or son just take them to fill his freezers?

They saw a cougar, twice. The third time the carcass was pretty much obliterated before they found it. Throats were out of the two that were found, I didn't ask for more details. The donkeys that Kelly referred to had the throats out to where they looked like Pez dispensers...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't understand what DNR stands to gain by discrediting cougar sightings. They're in the wildlife business, they should know animals are capable of incredible things, like expanding their territory.

The damned liars swear there is no such thing but just wait until someone kills one.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The damned liars swear there is no such thing but just wait until someone kills one.

I put the Nikon with BDC on my M1A.

News story: "With the price of beef, the shooter claims his neighbor asked him to 'thin his herd' and the damn cat just got in the way. The shooter immediately stopped and called the DNR to report someone's kitty is 'no more'. Amazingly none of the cows were injured by the shooting spree. The cats owner could not be found for comment. The DNR officer on site says the animal in question was a dog..."

Top Bottom