• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Is there any good fishing up there? I've never been there. We're going up there next month. I'd prefer bank fishing, but renting a boat could be an option too.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I do a charter out of MI City every year. Not cheap but a heck of a good time and always caught a load of fish. Did it end of June this year and missed a 4 person limit by two fish and we only did half the day. Largest was a 14lb chinook with most 5-7 lbs Silvers, Lakers and Chinook.

Last year guy with us landed a 24lb chinook. They are getting lots of bigger fish this year.

As for shore fishing no idea. I know some people do it but I think it is very dependent on time of year and if the salmon are running.

I know at the Dunes there are a couple of small lakes and some streams and rivers that can be fished but not a clue as to how productive they might be.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Never saw any fishing from shore when I lived 1/2 mile from the lake west of Michigan City. Probably because some of the sandbars were quite shallow, six inches and you could not cast far enough to clear the bar.

Did see a lot of people fishing off the lighthouse pier in Michigan City, deep water right next to the pier.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You can catch steelhead, Coho, and Chinooks from the lake shore when conditions are right but your best bet is either to fish the pier, Trail Creek or other major creeks that flow into Lake Michigan. At that time of year, there will be plenty of steelhead in the streams but they will likely be pretty wary. The Chinook run should be cranking up by the middle or end of August and some Coho will likely be coming in by the end of the month.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have never lived up by or in Michigan City or the Dunes. However I have visited the area frequently and I have witnessed folks fishing and catching fish from the pier that goes out to the light house at Washington Park and the Marina which is right there.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have never lived up by or in Michigan City or the Dunes. However I have visited the area frequently and I have witnessed folks fishing and catching fish from the pier that goes out to the light house at Washington Park and the Marina which is right there.

Perch around that pier.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    There are a lot of places to fish up here in lakes, ponds, rivers, creeks, etc. It all depends on what you're after. If you're coming all the way up here, I'd consider the afore mentioned charter option on Lake Michigan. If you're just looking to drop a line every once in a while, there are quite a few options. More specific advice will probably depend on what you're looking for and which county/town you'll be visiting.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I don't know much about fishing, but there are people out on the pier in Washington Park all night. I walk out there every once in a while when we are slow at work and more often then not, most of them have quite a few fish.

I happen to have a pond about thirty feet from my back door, so I don't really go elsewhere to do any fishing. The only thing I know is the fish in the pond like worms.

mrm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    the region
    I've also heard there can be good fishing out around trail creek in MI City. Can't fish in the state park, not that there's really anywhere that would be good for it...

Top Bottom