• 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What made him think she couldn't?

I do not know. I was asking from a management standpoint, should I remove her from the herd. My thought was if she has higher testosterone, and she produced a buck, would the fawn have more potential to grow antlers faster. He said it wouldn't matter because she wouldn't produce a fawn.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Interesting, are these 'kept' deer like a livestock like thing or is she just a regular on your property?

She is as free as the wind. I could have harvested her probably 50 times in the last few years, but to me she is to unique. I will have a couple kids on the farm this year going after their fists buck. If one of them wants her, they are welcome to take her, but she is safe from me.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That said, a few years ago I thought about killing, and getting a full body mount, then getting a nice buck to mount on top of her just to make folks do a double take.

The transgender meme's would have gone viral.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What made him think she couldn't?

Probably that if she had enough testosterone to produce antlers, then she probably had too much testosterone to conceive and successfully carry fawns. It's not quite that simple but I would imagine it is pretty rare for antlered does to have offspring.

BTW, a buck having excess testosterone is not very likely to grow antlers noticeably faster but could lead to abnormal antler growth.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    BTW, a buck having excess testosterone is not very likely to grow antlers noticeably faster but could lead to abnormal antler growth.

That is where I ended up as well. When I first got pictures of her (my first year with a game cam was 2013) She had fawns with her but she was also running with another doe, so I couldnt be certain they were her's. The next year was the same thing, but I saw a fawn sucking on her. I started researching to see if she needed to be removed from the heard from a genetics's standpoint, and came to the conclusion she probably wasn't helping anything, but she definitely wasnt hurting, so she has been fun to watch.

Top Bottom