Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Interesting game cam pic

This doe is at least 6 years old. I have pictures of her in 2013. I had a wildlife bioligist tell me she couldnt have fawns, and I informed him I had seen her with fawns, and you could tell he thought I was full of ____. I forwarded him this pic today.

https://imgur.com/0Hgazg7
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

User Info Menu

What made him think she couldn't?
    WTS/WTT 9mm and 308 win reload dies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljesus View Post

I do not know. I was asking from a management standpoint, should I remove her from the herd. My thought was if she has higher testosterone, and she produced a buck, would the fawn have more potential to grow antlers faster. He said it wouldn't matter because she wouldn't produce a fawn.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

full line vortex dealer

User Info Menu

Interesting, are these 'kept' deer like a livestock like thing or is she just a regular on your property?
    WTS/WTT 9mm and 308 win reload dies.

User Info Menu

Interesting, are these 'kept' deer like a livestock like thing or is she just a regular on your property?
    She is as free as the wind. I could have harvested her probably 50 times in the last few years, but to me she is to unique. I will have a couple kids on the farm this year going after their fists buck. If one of them wants her, they are welcome to take her, but she is safe from me.

full line vortex dealer

User Info Menu

That said, a few years ago I thought about killing, and getting a full body mount, then getting a nice buck to mount on top of her just to make folks do a double take.

The transgender meme's would have gone viral.

full line vortex dealer

User Info Menu

Probably that if she had enough testosterone to produce antlers, then she probably had too much testosterone to conceive and successfully carry fawns. It's not quite that simple but I would imagine it is pretty rare for antlered does to have offspring.

BTW, a buck having excess testosterone is not very likely to grow antlers noticeably faster but could lead to abnormal antler growth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by two70 View Post
    BTW, a buck having excess testosterone is not very likely to grow antlers noticeably faster but could lead to abnormal antler growth.
    That is where I ended up as well. When I first got pictures of her (my first year with a game cam was 2013) She had fawns with her but she was also running with another doe, so I couldnt be certain they were her's. The next year was the same thing, but I saw a fawn sucking on her. I started researching to see if she needed to be removed from the heard from a genetics's standpoint, and came to the conclusion she probably wasn't helping anything, but she definitely wasnt hurting, so she has been fun to watch.

full line vortex dealer

User Info Menu

Here she is last year in the same area.

https://imgur.com/iWtAO57

full line vortex dealer

Plinker

User Info Menu

Looks like Lyle Lovett...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast