Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: August 15th

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_Ronin View Post
    I haven't seen one in years. If I find one on a squirrel the whole thing is pitched. On a deer, different story.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Warbles are ugly but do not affect the meat. It usually stays with the hide and you can hardly see where it was after you skin it.
    Just call me lollipop.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo59 View Post
    Ticks and fleas on the squirrel is too much a reason to wait until I can see my breath much less the ticks on me...
    I killed well over 100 squirrels a season for an average the last 45 years and have never seen a flea or tick on one.Occasionally a warble on gray squirrels,never on a fox squirrel.Have seen all on rabbits.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Warbles are unsightly and disturbing to see, but they are only skin deep. The meat is not affected. I've not run into them a lot, but a good handful of times. I would never waste a squirrel over one. Those larvae cannot get you.

Is this a good nut year? Seems as though the limbs were heavy with accorns over the water I've been fishing.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_Ronin View Post
    Successful morning for my little buddy. Perfect weather.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Best reason in the world to go. Right here. What a cutie.
    Just call me lollipop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I killed well over 100 squirrels a season for an average the last 45 years and have never seen a flea or tick on one.Occasionally a warble on gray squirrels,never on a fox squirrel.Have seen all on rabbits.
    I've seen plenty of fleas. Never a tick tho'.

Killed one a few years ago that looked like a shar pei dog. Extra skin wrinkled up all over him. I've lost the pix but he was weird.
    Just call me lollipop.

User Info Menu

I went out at 1630 today and got one. Really was a lot of fun I had to really try to get close enough for a shot. It would bark then go silent so I'd let out a blast from the squirrel whistle and it would bark and go quiet. We did this for a while until I finally caught a glimpse of him and let the winchester do its thing. Unfortunately I hit him on the run and didn't lead enough so he was gut shot which was an unpleasant cleaning experience but he still tasted good on the grill.
    The rifle is the keystone of democracy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by freekforge View Post
    I went out at 1630 today and got one. Really was a lot of fun I had to really try to get close enough for a shot. It would bark then go silent so I'd let out a blast from the squirrel whistle and it would bark and go quiet. We did this for a while until I finally caught a glimpse of him and let the winchester do its thing. Unfortunately I hit him on the run and didn't lead enough so he was gut shot which was an unpleasant cleaning experience but he still tasted good on the grill.
    How do you cook 'em on the grill so they're tender? I usually parboil 'em til tender b4 I consider any other steps.
    Just call me lollipop.

Master

User Info Menu

I hunt with a .410 shotgun....it's killed literally thousands of squirrels.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PistolBob View Post
    I hunt with a .410 shotgun....it's killed literally thousands of squirrels.
    I hate picking shot out of their carcass. Rifle every time for me.
    Just call me lollipop.

User Info Menu

Since it was only me eating I didn't mind it being tough so I just tossed it on the grill. But this one wasn't near as tough as some I've had in the past. Usually I throw it in the crock pot for a few hours and then finish it on the grill. Throw on some homemade bbq sauce and it's good good good.
    The rifle is the keystone of democracy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast