• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been taking advantage of the trial period for high-power rifles for deer hunting in Indiana, but I have not been keeping track of the time.
    I believe the trial period ends after the upcoming deer season, or am I mistaken?

What do you think will come of the report due at the end of the trial period?
    I am hoping that the rules will remain, and maybe even expand the choice of calibers.

I've not heard of any massacres occurring because of the use of high power rifles.
    I really haven't heard much of any comments about the trial, one way or the other, except here on Ingo.

So, when does the trial period end, and how long after that before we hear the results?

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    No slaughter because there has been lower harvest numbers. I would say even if the numbers would of shown 10,000 more for each year we were allowed the use of rifles I would bet that more have been recovered after being shot which means less wounded deer that would be not found and later died. Then those people shoot one or two more deer.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think the biggest thing they were likely watching was if the bloodbath of humans would occur that the anti people were predicting.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The thing that concerned folks here in the GSF was bullets hitting people, farm animals or property, I've not heard of any cases so far.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My aunt had three deer slugs slam her house many years ago.
    One hit window casing and angled down, grooved the carpet in front room and slid to the kitchen tile.
    Thicket below the hill her house on, she owned the thicket............nobody had permission.

Idiots will be idiots.

BTW, have heard of lost deer the last couple of years w HP rifle. One guy lost two w 6.5 CM (evidently the deer didn't read the gun mags).

Bad shooting is bad shooting.

I've used HP rifle on a few deer. My farthest shot so far, 75 yards. Was prepared to pop one at 250 if he hit the property line. But he turned around.
    Funny............I've shot deer at 150 w handgun and a few at that and a little farther w shotgun. My farthest was with a roundball and sidehammer at 178.
    HP rifle hasn't done anything for me range or killing wise, outside of letting me shoot cool rifles.

That makes it more fun for me. I mean, if the deer aint gonna be over 140"...........might as well mix it up and have fun with the smaller ones.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I think that in northern indiana, we hunt in pretty wooded areas for deer, and so bullets get stuck in trees.At cornfield situations , bullets run out of gas crossing fields, at least cornfields I hunt are pretty big and open.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    When it comes to hunting with rifles in Indiana, the rules seem to move at a slightly slower pace than grass growing on the surface of the moon.

My oldest grandson is 10 years old. I suspect by the time his grandchildren are old enough to hunt, the trial period should be about wrapping up.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I don't really think its gonna change. i think dnr and the state has bigger issues, like manpower. I would be interested to see if revenue has increased from people buying more tags. I haven't gotten out anything crazy for it. I use a marlin 30/30 and have been debating some milsurp action or ar10. but honestly its just about being off work and getting lean protein for me

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    There have been guys using high power pistols for years.
    I am glad they allow HP rifles as I believe there are more recovered deer and less waste.
    Time will tell though.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I'm with you, I successfully used a 243 Weatherby pistol before the 243 rifle was legal. The fact that a pistol is legal and rifle of same caliber isn't makes no sense at all. Rifles in general have better triggers, better accuracy and much better feel than shotguns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Specialty pistols typically have extended eye relief scopes and are a bit of a PITA to employ.
    IMHO they limit shot selection.
    Handguns of all types was what?.....1% of the deer harvest last year?
    Bad shooting is bad shooting.
    Heard last year of a few folks flubbing it w HP rifle.

I like rifles just fine, so far my PCR and HP rifle kills have been 65, 40,75,50 and 50 yards.
    Big whoop de doo. My shotgun kills have been out to 165 yards.
    My 870 w rifled bore proly on par with my .35 rem 760 at 100 yards.
    Of course the 760 doesn't knock my fillings loose................but the accuracy of my last two rifled 870's was sub 2" at 100.

Do agree on rifles feeling better than many shotguns.
    Although a 20 ga 870 would proly feel a lot like a 760/7600.

Face it, most Bambi slayers are not really gun people, and they half arse it.
    Rifle doesn't change their behavior.

Hang out at the local gunshop the night before the opener, see them standing in like to get bore sighted.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, we could be like Kentucky where the only way to illegally take a deer is with a full auto .22 from a canoe shooting across a highway...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    I for one really hope it gets extended and/or made permanent. I haven't taken any more than usual but I like the idea having the ability to take a comfortable shot from 150 away if a special buck is out at that distance.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    Typo? 150 was routinely doable w stuff before HP rifle.

That is for me personally, didn't mean to imply that 150 was out of comfort/range for all hunters. I'm much more proficient with rifles than shotguns and I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability not to maim an animal with it from beyond 150.

Top Bottom