• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I was given a Remington 783 in .308 Win for Christmas. I normally hunt with a single shot 12 gauge and wouldn't mind taking the Remington to the woods this year. The maximum distance I plan to take a shot for a deer is 250 yards and I will only do this if I feel my skills are up to it after a bit of practice. In two directions I have neighbors 800 yards away with all the other directions wide open corn fields or wooded land. The land I own is surrounded by rolling hills and woods.

I don't know much about how far bullets from rounds like 270 Win, 308 Win, and 30-06 Springfield travel. Are those two neighbors in any danger or will bullet drop bring the spent bullet back to earth before it gets near them? I don't plan to shoot in their direction for safety reasons but I am curious as to how far a 308 Win will travel if I miss and the bullet ricochets off of something. Thanks!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Trajectory depends on launch angle. At maximum azimuth of 45 degrees, a .308 might go several miles. At level, it might go a few hundred yards.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    If you have line of sight, the 308 can easily go 800 yards. Be sure of your backstop.

I am already thinking about all the "safe" directions, good backstops, and the directions in which I shouldn't take a shot. I don't lose my head when I go deer hunting so I should be okay. Thanks for the tip!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    As you may know from single-shot-12-ga days, it is really a lot more impressive, from multiple perspectives, when I hear of a hunter getting a shot inside 30 feet.

Rifle performance is also pretty good at that range. :)

But it doesn't sound like you have an unworkable situation with that .308. As was said, be sure of your backstop, and also be cognizant of the risk of ground skip. With frozen soil, you have to have nearly 45-degree impact to ensure you won't have a bullet skim into, then right back OUT of the soil. Ice is the same discussion.

It's worst with AP and FMJ ball ammo, but it is very common with medium-game hunting bullets as well.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you hit the deer you're probably okay...if not check your backstop. If you're not shooting upish you're probably okay too; other wise 7.62NATO will go aways.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you can hunt from an elevated position, it will greatly reduce your chances of a round leaving your property.
    The heavier the angle, the better off you are.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Rather than think about a minimum safe distance, I think I'd refer back to the old hunter education days and think about what is behind your target that could possibly be hit should you miss.

Dirty Steve

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Rather than think about a minimum safe distance, I think I'd refer back to the old hunter education days and think about what is behind your target that could possibly be hit should you miss.

Dirty Steve

That's a pretty good perspective point.

The fact is, in Indiana, you're unlikely to GET out of a .308 rifle's maximum range of somebody's house...

...and even at that: For every round fired, you are responsible for keeping it safely within your real estate.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think the issue not just projectile but also type of shot.

If the shots the same then HP may be safer
    My concern has been w long shots and not knowing what lay beyond.

Current spot.....

Flat from road to 250. Deer run that ridge. Somebody shoots at deer there and bullet will carry to the back end which is lower.....and stands on back field edge are not visible from road.

Not supposed to shoot from road....but somebody did last yr....other side....
    In the dark. Right in front of landowners house.

Idiots are always a danger. How much more w equipment changes?

I dunno.

Last edited:

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Here is another way too think about deviation from line of sight.
    A Palma rifle (308 shooting 155 gr. bullets) with a zero at 1000 yards. This bullet will rise above line of sight approximately 17 feet before dropping to zero at the target.
    As shooters we have a responsibility for our bullets once they leave the barrel. As suggested, shooting at a downward angle will help to control the potential for damage. Just realize that anything along the line of sight could be hit.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Line of sight............scoped rifles/treestands.............people hitting branches close that they didn't see.
    Might send some projectiles other than where intended.

tcause17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2019
    Sellersburg
    The main key with longer distances is being at a higher angle to avoid the round from hitting anything you're not wanting to hit. But that round will go 800 yards easy if sighted well.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The bullet, no matter the caliber will travel until it hits something and stops.

You are in control of selecting that spot.

50+ years ago, as a 14 year old new deer hunter, it was the first thing my grandfather taught me. He didnt want to pick lead out of his butt....

Top Bottom