• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Anybody here dove hunt nonreserved public land? I've never been on a dove hunt and want to try it out so I'm looking good at salamonie, mississenewa, and roush after the reserved hunts are over with. Any advice? Are there still usually a lot of folks out even after the reserved hunts or does it calm down a couple days in?

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Iif You know any farmers I would aske them if you could hunt there. A corn field or soybean field would work. I am fortunate enough to know a farmer who also has cows so he grows his own corn for feed. He harvests some of the corn early on so it’s great for dove season. The excess corn that didn’t make it into the combine is left on the ground and a natural bait for the doves.

I go with a group of friends and we line the outside of the field. It’s best if you have a little coverage either with a tree line or anything else to help break up your silhouette. We also use some decoys out in the middle of the field to help attract the doves. If you have a hunting dog, you’ll be set, but not needed. Just makes finding the downed birds easier. It’s amazing how well they blend into the ground and a hard to find.

You can bring a chair if you want, I use a 5gallon bucket with a padded spinning top. Usually bring some beverages and cigars for the hunt. It’s a lot different than deer hunting, you don’t have to be a statue the entire time. We also usually have some hand radios to communicate with each other across the field. Just make sure you bring plenty of shells, they are hard to hit...I also like to pull the trigger a lot! The limit is 15 per hunter per day.

Hope you ca find a place and good luck!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Anybody here dove hunt nonreserved public land? I've never been on a dove hunt and want to try it out so I'm looking good at salamonie, mississenewa, and roush after the reserved hunts are over with. Any advice? Are there still usually a lot of folks out even after the reserved hunts or does it calm down a couple days in?

I have hunted public land. Both Mississenewa and Winamac. Was not very crowded after the reserved hunt has happened. Bring lots of shells and don't forget your shotgun plug which limits how many shells your gun can hold (seen a guy get a ticket by DNR officer when he forgot it). Like was said previously mentioned these birds are hard to hit. It is amazing how fast and acrobatic a dove can fly. Bring something to set on because you will have "down times" when the shooting slows. pack a couple sandwiches and drink. It is a lot of fun, especially when you get a group. Good luck and have fun.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Can you do it at any of the wildlife management areas at mississenewa? Or is there dove specific areas? I saw quite a few today while squirrel hunting which was encouraging guess I need to pick up some decoys and have at it.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    FYI if you get to a field and forgot your plug to limit the magazine to two rounds, find a stick that will fit and cut it to length. That will save the day.

Top Bottom