• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Haven't really been that excited for hunting season this year. Not sure why, been busy I guess. But woke up yesterday and its like a switch flipped, its time for deer!!!

I went and hiked around a new piece of adjoining property that is now part of the family farm, found two old 2 man ladder stands. Looks like they have been out for a quite a few years. I know they will need new straps, I'm wondering if i shouldn't replace the bolts holding them together, pretty rusty. They may been more effort than they are worth. Previous owner said they think they have been out there for 5 or 6 years

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    It for sure wouldnt hurt to replace the bolts or anything else that looks worn or weathered.
    Check any straps that hold it to the tree also.
    Cant be to safe when using a stand.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If the bolts are tight and the stand is strong and rigid, I don't know that I would worry too much about the hardware. Replacing the hardware might be more trouble than its worth if the threads are rusted and nuts won't move on the threads. I would definitely replace the straps, and get a few more years out the stands. Eventually you will need to replace the stands anyway because the welds don't last forever. I read once you can expect to get 10 to 12 years out of a metal ladder stand if left outside continuously.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    It usually takes a few pictures from the trail camera before I start getting really fired up. They're moving in Parke County and I can't wait. Good luck out there!

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    I had weathered straps break while stepping into a stand last year. Life line kept me from a 20' fall. Stands now get new straps every year.

Oh wow. I need to be more conscious of this. We don't pay enough attention to this from year to year.

Top Bottom