• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    I know this isn't necessarily in Indiana but it's a reasonable drive for a weekend trip so I figured I'd post here.

Last weekend myself and a buddy & his son went up and stayed at a place called Meemo's Farm. We had an absolute blast but it can get expensive if you're not careful stacking up the activities that they offer.

Anyways, at the farm we shot skeet, sporting clays, fished the ponds and rode ATVs around the 1,000 acre property. We brought our bows and targets and set them up outside the lodge we were staying. Really was a cool setup.

The highlight of the weekend was King Salmon fishing on the Perre Marquette River. We had to drive an hour and a half to get there, but it was worth it. It was a guided trip which was helpful because it was my first time fishing King Salmon.

It was about 5 hours long and both myself and my buddy caught a King each. Now, I've caught pond/lake bass all my life but I've never fished something like this. Both of our fish were nearly 30 pounds, much much larger than anything I've ever caught.

It was so much fun I'm driving back up there this weekend, which it is now the heavy run so they'll be biting even more. If you have the chance to get up there and fish for King Salmon, I highly recommend it.

Anyone do much fishing up there?

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wish I liked salmon. Those big salmon "steaks" look so good but I just don't care for the strong flavor. I'm sure I'd enjoy catching them though!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Go every year with a couple of buddies for about a week. This will be the 30th year in succession and have always caught fish.
    We always go the same time give or take a week (last week of Sept/first week of Oct).
    30 pounders are nice fish. Size dropped the past few years where 18-20 pounders were the norm. Seen them as big as 50# but those are rare and you made the front page of the paper in Muskegon. Going to hit the Manistee this year but also fished the White, Muskegon and Perre Marquette over the years. Sometimes you just have to beat the water to get something and others not so much. Looking forward to heading north in a couple of weeks.
    Normally cast lures 75% of the time then plugs, spinners, troll or spawn fish the other 25%. It use to be about the fishing but now as I mellow it’s more about reconnecting with old friends and getting away from the daily grind. Good memories to be had for sure.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    In the past, I would frequent the PM and Manistee rivers starting on the long, Labor day weekend. Stayed at an affordable campground in Baldwin, just a few hundred feet from the PM on SR 37.
    When the number of kings started to decline, I concentrated my efforts (and funds) toward steelhead, starting in November. Found far less angler pressure and far more fish more to my liking, not to mention less gear getting busted up by pissed off kings in 2' of water.................it is a blast though.
    Good luck on your next trip.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I feel Salmon pull like a Mac truck and Steelhead more like a Ferrari. Had Steelhead leap through tree limbs overhanging the bank before trying to throw the hook. Steel headers are a different breed of fishermen though. Especially the guys wading icy rivers in sub zero temps. Steel head live the salmon spawn at the tail end of the salmon run if you time it right or get lucky.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    This is what you can expect on the Pere Marquette. This is from the catch and release flies only section of the upper river. Several friends and I have been making the trip for over 10 years. We’ll be there this year on the 20th until the end of the month. 25#+ king salmon on a 9 weight 10’ fly rod is a blast !

Attachments

• FFDE8329-233D-4D6F-B666-4E930D7259B5.jpeg
      FFDE8329-233D-4D6F-B666-4E930D7259B5.jpeg
      132.7 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    I feel Salmon pull like a Mac truck and Steelhead more like a Ferrari. Had Steelhead leap through tree limbs overhanging the bank before trying to throw the hook. Steel headers are a different breed of fishermen though. Especially the guys wading icy rivers in sub zero temps. Steel head live the salmon spawn at the tail end of the salmon run if you time it right or get lucky.

As a first timer, the thing that surprised me so much was how light the bite was before they were hooked compared to what they were like once hooked. Not sure why, I guess I was expecting something more violent so I didn't even realize I was getting bites at first.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    This is what you can expect on the Pere Marquette. This is from the catch and release flies only section of the upper river. Several friends and I have been making the trip for over 10 years. We’ll be there this year on the 20th until the end of the month. 25#+ king salmon on a 9 weight 10’ fly rod is a blast !

Do you guys use a guide? I'm guessing not? We don't have a boat and are inexperienced so we used a guide. The guide we used was a little rough around the edges / impatient with my friend's son so I was wondering if anyone that went up there had any guide recommendations. I am currently booked with the same guy on the 28th but if I found someone known to be a bit more patient I'd probably switch.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Finding a guide at this point who isn’t booked up means there probably is a reason. Baldwin Bait and Tackle has guides but they are usually booked well in advance. They have a great website under their name that provides intermittent fishing reports. The Pere Marquette Lodge also has several guides. A guy named Frank has been the head guy there for several years. A few years ago we used Indigo Guide Service. (213 898 4320) - if the number is still correct. The guide we got was a young man who was a IU grad who had majored in forestry as I recall.

You can also try calling the Red Moose Lodge - they have had guide services in the past. There are other guides on the PM as well as some who guide on the Manistee. You can walk in to the Flies only section but it can sometimes be very crowded with anglers when the fish make their run to lay their eggs.

Send me a pm and I’ll tell you how to get in touch with me for some add’l info.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    PM salmon

You can expect fish like this in the flies only section.

Also, you can get a one man pontoon and float the river yourself.

Attachments

• EE9366D6-4134-4380-9DC9-85C40EE0C80B.jpg
      EE9366D6-4134-4380-9DC9-85C40EE0C80B.jpg
      185.7 KB · Views: 11
    • 2749308B-6AC3-4CEF-AA15-9CADB25CCDCA.jpeg
      2749308B-6AC3-4CEF-AA15-9CADB25CCDCA.jpeg
      83.1 KB · Views: 8

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    Trying to get up to 50 posts so I can respond to the PM you sent the other day! I will for sure send you one in 5 posts! lol

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    You can expect fish like this in the flies only section.

Also, you can get a one man pontoon and float the river yourself.

Took another quick weekend trip up to Custer, MI and stayed at the Henry's Landing Campgrounds. Fished all weekend and had a blast. Caught a couple, one just under 14 lbs and the other just under 20 lbs. One from the shore at Henry's Landing and one from the boat on Saturday. Didn't get a great pic of the one on the boat before the guide did some work on it after which it wasn't very photogenic. The guide was nice but definitely doing a DIY trip next year.

Did you guys have much luck?

Fish1.jpg Fish2.jpg

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I grew up on Spring Lake in the Grand Haven area. We fished them on the big lake all summer and the cricks in the fall. Later in the run we would get the big kings to fetilize the gardens. My grandparents had a cottage on Bigalo Creek by Newago. I can still hear the fish coming over the waterfall as I drifted off to sleep. It was a great way to grow up.

Top Bottom