• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    We've had a couple of nice bucks out in the yard all summer. Yesterday the 10 pointer was out there and his rack was all clean and polished. Not even a hint of velvet left. Hadn't put the corn out yet so he left before I could grab the camera.
    Just a little bit ago a little 5 point was trying to get a little corn. His velvet was getting plenty tattered. Got a pic of him with the does and fawns but not very good as the light was poor. He about got his butt kicked by the does, Miss Doe, our resident old lady, gave him a good whack and the mother of the fawns chased him all over the yard!
    Also the mom doe and the fawns came down off the hill behind the house, Miss Doe came up the drive a little later. The fawns were quite interested in Miss Doe and she was very friendly to them. After they all got their fill of corn the whole crew walked off together so hopefully they'll be running together now.
    Another thing I've noticed is the adult deer are getting their winter coats over the last few weeks and the fawns are loosing their spots and starting to get darker. Miss De and the big guy I saw yesterday are completely brown, the mom doe this morning had just a little red left on her neck.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    We've had a couple of nice bucks out in the yard all summer. Yesterday the 10 pointer was out there and his rack was all clean and polished. Not even a hint of velvet left. Hadn't put the corn out yet so he left before I could grab the camera.
    Just a little bit ago a little 5 point was trying to get a little corn. His velvet was getting plenty tattered. Got a pic of him with the does and fawns but not very good as the light was poor. He about got his butt kicked by the does, Miss Doe, our resident old lady, gave him a good whack and the mother of the fawns chased him all over the yard!
    Also the mom doe and the fawns came down off the hill behind the house, Miss Doe came up the drive a little later. The fawns were quite interested in Miss Doe and she was very friendly to them. After they all got their fill of corn the whole crew walked off together so hopefully they'll be running together now.
    Another thing I've noticed is the adult deer are getting their winter coats over the last few weeks and the fawns are loosing their spots and starting to get darker. Miss De and the big guy I saw yesterday are completely brown, the mom doe this morning had just a little red left on her neck.

The most recent pictures from the trail cams I am seeing no velvet on most of them. So I think you're right!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Anyone else noticed the leaves turning already?
    I have a feeling it's due more to the drought we've had lately. It seems too early for the leaves to be changing, but they are.

Some feel we're in for a cold and snowy winter this year.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Anyone else noticed the leaves turning already?
    I have a feeling it's due more to the drought we've had lately. It seems too early for the leaves to be changing, but they are.

Some feel we're in for a cold and snowy winter this year.

Yeah, and it seems like the leaves fall off as soon as they turn. Got a hackberry right off the deck, its almost bare. Poplars and sycamores are the same. Walnuts are looking kinda thin. About the only ones that look normal are the maples.

Squirrels are busy hiding nuts in the yard, watched one a while this afternoon burying hickorys.

Top Bottom