Light weight hiking setups (sleep/shelter systems)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Any lightweight hikers out there? Looking to rebuild my hiking setup into something considerably lighter and looking for suggestions. Currently focusing on my sleep/shelter system. Looking hard at down quilts instead of a sleeping bag. Currently using the military sleep system bivy and a 20 degree synthetic. (Have the other portions of the system for when it get real cold). Problem is that stuff is plum heavy. So looking to go for down for sure. Primary use is going to be backpacking through the full year. Winter and Rocky Mountain hiking is a definite. Any ideas or opinions out there? Looking for quality gear and light stuff to boot. Will be using this stuff to 0 degree temperatures and if I can keep it modular for all year use that’s even better.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    I am into the ultralight backpacking scene a fair amount and was much more so up until recently when all my hiking partners have had kids.

I have owned lots of different shelters, backpacks, and sleep systems.

Right now, if I am tent camping, I use a Mountain Laurel Designs DuoMid in Dyneema / Cuben Fiber (https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/duomid/) - Allows you to use a trekking pole instead of something dedicated for the tent only.

If I am hammock camping I have a Dyneema / cuben fiber tarp from Hammock Gear (https://hammockgear.com/dyneema-fiber-hex-tarp/)

My sleep system depends how cold it is but consists of one or more of the following:

- Enlightened Equipment 20* quilt with some amount of overstuffing
    - Western Mountaineering Everlite (EverLite | Western Mountaineering) - I will double up with the EE quilt above if really cold outside.
    - Thermarest NeoAir XTherm - This is my pad if it's really cold
    - Thermarest NeoAir XLite - I take this when it's not as cold

If you have any questions about backpacks, titanium cookware, stoves or anything else I have more than likely owned it in the past or currently own it.

Edit - One more thing. To extend the range of my sleep system, I also make use of whatever down puffy or down coat I have, in addition to some down pants that I love to also have while around camp. The pants weigh virtually nothing and greatly enhance my non-hiking experience and when combined with my sleep system I was comfortable below zero up in northern Michigan last year.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Tip if you have any weight to lose start there. Cracks me up when an overweight dude stuffed into racing lycra tells me I need titanium pedals on my bike to save weight.

MSS system is great just so bulky, damn near impossible to fit in or under most of my packs.

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Haha not much weight to cut here. But agreed on the system not fitting. That’s the big thing actually. I don’t like the weight but dislike the bulk more

Top Bottom