• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm concerned my water bill will double this time around, trying to keep the garden producing?

We were dry before the last rain, two weeks ago. That rain was over an inch, but dried quickly.

I notice some premature leaf falling along with the seasonal grass die off.

The critters are thirsty. A bunny has been eating tomatoes and deer are eating the rhubarb.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Definitely sympathize. I've also finished off my rainwater and we don't have any more rain projected for at least a week. Too much water in the spring and not nearly enough since. Sigh...

That said, I'm going to be upgrading my water situation this fall/spring:
    • Already have a Berkey for passive water purification indoors.
    • Have a 2 rain barrel system. Will be plumbing in a third.
    • Will be converting my potted plants (mint to prevent spread and fig to bring indoors during winter) from standard pots to self-watering pots. These provide better water conservation, continuous/even water access and greatly reduces nutrient runoff.
    • Will be installing a drip irrigation system (to work with the rain barrel system) in the spring. The watering will be directed to both the raised beds (annual vegetables) and perennial berry bushes and fruit trees and is supposed to reduce watering needs by 30-50%.
    Overall, this should significantly reduce my dependency on municipal water, water bills, nutrient runoff, time spent on manual maintenance and provide a more even and hospitable water environment for food production.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I owe everyone an apology. I spread $800 worth of grass seed over about 1.5 acres a few weeks back virtually ensuring a drought.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I owe everyone an apology. I spread $800 worth of grass seed over about 1.5 acres a few weeks back virtually ensuring a drought.

I sympathize with this.

Drop a bunch of money on a pond, after a record wet first half of the year, just for a drought to start.

I'm using what water I have in it (it was 18" max depth after the rain nearly three weeks ago) to water the $400 of grass seed I spread around it, in hopes of getting ground cover established so I don't experience more erosion the next time it rains.

But hey, at least it provides a water source for the turkey, birds, coyotes, bobbers and deer.

69768373_10112233439790528_9184672388652990464_n.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I sympathize with this.

Drop a bunch of money on a pond, after a record wet first half of the year, just for a drought to start.

I'm using what water I have in it (it was 18" max depth after the rain nearly three weeks ago) to water the $400 of grass seed I spread around it, in hopes of getting ground cover established so I don't experience more erosion the next time it rains.

But hey, at least it provides a water source for the turkey, birds, coyotes, bobbers and deer.

View attachment 80000

I don't know how full you plan that pond to be (on average), but maybe rip rap would be better than grass seed from the current waterline up to where you think it will normally be? I know it's more expensive than grass, but would probably do a better job with erosion.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I don't know how full you plan that pond to be (on average), but maybe rip rap would be better than grass seed from the current waterline up to where you think it will normally be? I know it's more expensive than grass, but would probably do a better job with erosion.

Pond is 12’ at full pool, so it has a LONG way to go and I’d probably need north of ten triaxles for full coverage.

Getting some grass on watershed will slow runoff enough to mitigate the erosion concern. Come next spring, wild grass will fill in the bare spots but I’ve gotta kick-start it to protect the investment.

Prob will end up with a little rip-rap for the fishies, tho!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Really dry here in the GSF, the understory is drying out and normal water spots for the animals are gone. I'm going to have one stand near the only spring still running at my place, but most of the deer will move into the HNF where there is more consistent water.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I don't think we have had a drop of rain here all September. But we washed the vehicles and put a coat of wax on them today so that should guarantee some unexpected rain soon.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Sorry to rain on your parade guys but I am happy with the dry weather. I have been trying to rebuild/repair/surface the approximately one mile of road to our property for the last two years. Last year I made very little progress as there was rain every second or third day. This year started out much the same until mid/late June. July and August were great and I was able to finally get the road work nearly completed. I still want dry weather as we have scheduled to have a pole barn built in October. After October, rain is ok, just not too much so it doesn't interfere with deer season.

Top Bottom