• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Long story short, today I attempted to put my climber in the woods for deer season. While securing it to the tree I noticed funny movement ( luckily before I attempted to climb). I found out it had bad welds and where the support bars fold out and bolt in to the bottom of the climber the threads and bolt had detached itself rendering it useless. It was a gift and only used for one season. Now I need to purchase a new climber but I want to make sure I get a quality climber and no junk. Would anybody care to make any suggestions on a great climber? Thanks in advance! I believe the one I had was a summit.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Both Summit and API have various models of climbers to choose from.
    I have an older API Grand Slam Supreme that is more than 20 years old and still going. I think they've since been bought by Aluma-Lok.
    I have friends and family members who have had the Summit Vipers for years and they swear by them.
    Good luck and stay safe.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Thought about it, just not sure I trust it. I'm not sure how it even came apart. Also it's the thread bung that came out. It's so thing not sure it can ber. I should have taken a picture.

Last edited:

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I love my Ol'Man. I've had it 18 or 19 yrs. It's a little heavy carrying but I like the fact that it practically folds up flat. I think they have models made with aluminum that is quite a bit lighter than mine. If I was looking for another one, it would be another Ol'Man.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The first response nailed it. Summit and API are tops for comfort, ease of use and stability. IMO, Summits are a little lighter, a bit quicker to setup, and the seats are more comfortable. APIs have more adjustability and are typically slightly more stable in my experience. Replacing the seat on an API with a Summit cushion is the best of all worlds IMO.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have had an API bowhunter style (open front) climber for at least 5 years. This is the only one I own, but I have used a few others including Hawk and Summit. I would go with aluminum unless you exceed the weight rating as they are much easier to deal with even once they are on the tree. The bowhunting (open front) style is nice if bowhunting as you could shoot from a seated position out the front if you don't have time to stand.

Best of all all three climbers that I have used were more comfortable than any hang on or ladder stand I have used.

You probably cannot go wrong so long as you choose one from a reputable manufacturer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Climbing sticks and a hang on?
    Gonna buy the Muddy Pro Sticks and an Outfitter stand.

[video=youtube_share;fmEFhK0fimo]https://youtu.be/fmEFhK0fimo[/video]

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Wise choice...great stand....you will love it!

I might also recommend buying a nice harness. The ones they send free with the stands are adequate at best.

There are a ton of buy alone harnesses out there that are WAY BETTER. :twocents:

Great stand choice and good advice on the harness... especially since it is so easy to fall asleep in a summit as comfortable as they are!

Top Bottom