• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The last few years, I've been wearing Muck boots. They're ok,but I would like something with more support. I can't remember who suggested Sorrells, but I was wanting more suggestions. Here is my wants...

1. Warm. If my feet get cold, my life sucks. My feet get cold easily.
    2. Good ankle support.
    3. They have to be water proof.

Any suggestions?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The last few years, I've been wearing Muck boots. They're ok,but I would like something with more support. I can't remember who suggested Sorrells, but I was wanting more suggestions. Here is my wants...

1. Warm. If my feet get cold, my life sucks. My feet get cold easily.
    2. Good ankle support.
    3. They have to be water proof.

Any suggestions?

I like Danner. I wear pronghorns about 250 days a year. Warm feet are just a much good socks as they are boots. Mine are always cold if I'm sitting, no matter the boot.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have several pairs of Sorels in different styles. My husband wears Sorels when hunting and I think he adds a heat pack to each boot inside the liners for added protection.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Any quality leather boots are going to offer more support and typically be warmer than a comparably insulated rubber boot but even with Gore Tex are not going to be as waterproof. If you are not doing a lot of wading in several inches of water, leather boots will probably work, provided you maintain them.

If you want to stick with rubber boots the Cabela's Comfort Trac boots have the best support of any rubber boot I've tried and I've tried a lot. They are available in different insulation levels up to 1600 grams. Some LaCrosse boots models also have pretty good support and go up to about 1200 grams of insulation. In my experience the LaCrosse boots last longer but are not quite as comfortable.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I really like my Irish Setters.
    I have even been using them when I am walking around a lot. They are not for mountain climbing, although the occasional side hill or cliff face will not hurt you.
    This is the second set in 6 years, I wore them out.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Irish setters lasted me 10 yrs.$200 retail. Got em on sale for half price.
    Damn near cried when they gave up the ghost.
    Ripped tendon in foot, arch dropped. Up a half size on new boots

bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    +1 on the Danner. Bought a new pair this summer and have been breaking them in for this winter, Very comfortable from day 1 and good ankle support.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I love Muck boots for hunting around here. I have bad ankles and Mucks offer me entry of support. For lace up, I really like Danner. I got the Higher Ground model when we went elk hunting in CO. Had no problems with them. I now have a pair of uninsulated Pronghorns that I wear around working and in the woods. They are comfy with plenty of support. Like someone else said, lace up boots with Gore Tex will keep you dry as long as you aren't hiking through too much water.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Danner’s are good, but I find they really take a lot to conform to my feet.

Merrell’s are incredibly comfortable, but they apparently cannot figure out how to waterproof a pair of boots.

Cabela’s brand boots suck. They are waterproof just long enough to walk out of the store, and they break down after just a hundred miles or so.

Mendl boots are my favorite that I’ve found. Very waterproof, comfortable, and toasty. Even the “uninsulated” ones are too hot for me in warm weather.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Wolverine Plainsman. I liked the first set so much I bought 3 more so I could have a rough work set and 2 in storage. Good arch support, good ankle support and all day comfortable. Water resistant within reason...I wouldn't go wading in them.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    After reading thru some of the posts I would llike to ask the OP what kind of hunting he is referring to? Personally I'm a deer hunter sitting in a stand for hours on end, in all kinds of weather. That being said I have yet to find ANY boot that will keep my feet warm without the aid of some of those foot warmers. The boots I have had in the past have gone up to 2000 grams of thinsulate and they are only so-so, not to mention that they aren't the greatest for doing a lot walking for extended periods of time or distance.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have the Muck Woody Max's and my feet stay warm sitting on stand for a few hours as long as the temps are 20s or above. Below that I can't sit as long. Im not for sure what the advertised ratings are , but Muck also has the Arctic version which is rated for colder temps than the Woody Max's. I also have the Arctic Shield boot covers when it is that cold. I walk to the stand and slip them over my boots.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    After reading thru some of the posts I would llike to ask the OP what kind of hunting he is referring to? Personally I'm a deer hunter sitting in a stand for hours on end, in all kinds of weather. That being said I have yet to find ANY boot that will keep my feet warm without the aid of some of those foot warmers. The boots I have had in the past have gone up to 2000 grams of thinsulate and they are only so-so, not to mention that they aren't the greatest for doing a lot walking for extended periods of time or distance.

Agree with this post. If stand hunting, a million grams of thinsulate wont do the job after a while. I did get a pair of the thermacell rechargable foot warmers. A pain to keep charged and ya got the small remote to keep track of but they DO work. Well worth the effort so far.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    In my experience , your feet are no different than the rest of your body . Layers, layers and more layers . I'm a huge puss when it comes to sitting in the cold . I get cold when its 40 degrees out .

My regime to keep my feet warm is as follows .
    1. quality wicking socks (keeps moisture away)
    2. insulated socks (optional)
    3. 800-1000 gram boots
    4. insulated boot covers

Boot covers are popular with people that ice fish a lot . They make some with camo patterns . I slip them on once I get to where I'm going . No more cold feet !

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'd throw a vote for Danners, but avoid the High Ground style like the plague. The fabric lace eye's fail. They fit like tennis shoes and are some of the lightest boots I've ever worn and actually are water proof, great ankle support for 8" on uneven terrain. Was religious on Merrel, but agree with lack of water proofing, now their styles are getting weirder.

Meena

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I don’t have a recommendation but I do know that the older I get the colder my feet get. I have used the cheap Red Head boots for years but now after a day of hunting my feet hurt so I need to invest in a good, probably more expensive, pair.

Top Bottom