• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just received a "regulations update" from IDNR.
    If I read this correctly, they have just o.k'd the use of "air-bows" and "air-guns" for deer hunting during the firearms season.

Anyone else see this?
    Any other details available?

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I seen the same thing. I want to see the airgun thats able to take deer. I am ignorant on any air gun that has the stopping power of a 357 or 410 slug. Yes i know a 22 lr can do it, but you gotta hit just right

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    After reading this post I went to the regs on the DNR site. The county bonus waterless quotas have changed since they printed the reg book. There was a section in wslest central Indiana that had a quota of 3 and a big part of the south was at 4. Now they all have quotas of 2 but the counties that were originally 4 still offer the special rifle season for does. Just another way to confuse hunters, even if you think you are playing by the book.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    1200 bit salty. I can get a 44 mag jm marked cowboy limited for that

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I seen the same thing. I want to see the airgun thats able to take deer. I am ignorant on any air gun that has the stopping power of a 357 or 410 slug. Yes i know a 22 lr can do it, but you gotta hit just right

Real Airgun Hunting on Amazon prime could give you some insight.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Im getting my crossman .177 pump and I'll shoot em in the eye, and just keep shooting till it's dead. Or runs off wounded.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This is what I'm looking at,

Quackenbush Air Guns

I've wanted one for years, but had no real use for it.
    Maybe now that will change.
    I know most people think of them as a novelty, and to some extent, they are, but they could be so much more.
    Think about it. In a S.H.T.F. scenario the supply of loaded ammunition will get scarce in a hurry, as will reloading supplies.

With a good air gun, all you need is a lead ball and a way to produce the charge.
    The foot pumps for PCP's are very arduous, but will get the job done.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Here is the actual language:

[FONT=&amp]Allow air rifles and air bows to be used for deer hunting during the deer firearms season. (312 IAC 9-3-3)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Hunters have expressed interest in using air rifles and air bows to harvest deer. Air rifles and air bows are capable of humanely and efficiently harvesting a deer. Equipment would have to meet the same requirements specified by the administrative code, but would allow hunters to have additional options when choosing to hunt for deer during firearms season.

And this is the language that prefaces these proposals:
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The Natural Resources Advisory Council reviewed the fish and wildlife-related administrative rule proposals listed below. For more information about the meetings, please go to: https://www.in.gov/nrc/2334.htm[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Rule proposals that are reviewed and approved will go to the Natural Resources Commission for preliminary adoption at a date yet to be determined.

So it seems the proposed rules change has been reviewed but certainly not adopted yet nor possibly even approved. IF, it is approved and adopted it also seems pretty clear that air rifles and bows would have certain requirements they would have to meet in order to be legal. In other words, clueless people would not be able to legally do some of the things mentioned here(jokingly I hope).

While some big bore airguns are certainly capable of cleanly taking deer and even larger game I don't really see this being a really popular option given the cost of the rifles and specialized equipment, the short range and only being allowed in seasons where firearms can be used. [/FONT]

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    This is what I'm looking at,

Quackenbush Air Guns

I've wanted one for years, but had no real use for it.
    Maybe now that will change.
    I know most people think of them as a novelty, and to some extent, they are, but they could be so much more.
    Think about it. In a S.H.T.F. scenario the supply of loaded ammunition will get scarce in a hurry, as will reloading supplies.

With a good air gun, all you need is a lead ball and a way to produce the charge.
    The foot pumps for PCP's are very arduous, but will get the job done.

i have seen videos with these and they are very impressive

joshuamckee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Franklin
    I had a Benjamin bulldog 357 and it was scary powerful.It would shoot through a 4x4 and a 2x4 that I had set up like they weren’t even there.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a Walther magnum springer that I bought to scare the deer out of my yard with. .177. I was skeptical after I received it with a full walnut stock and 4x scope; thought it a bit pretensions. Well, I went to scare away my first large doe from ravaging our landscape when low and behold it dropped dead in the neighbors yard after it turned around.

You could put your eye out with that. This is not your granddaddy's pellet rifle.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Walther magnum springer that I bought to scare the deer out of my yard with. .177. I was skeptical after I received it with a full walnut stock and 4x scope; thought it a bit pretensions. Well, I went to scare away my first large doe from ravaging our landscape when low and behold it dropped dead in the neighbors yard after it turned around.

You could put your eye out with that. This is not your granddaddy's pellet rifle.

I have a Mendoza springer in .22.
    That thing hits like a ton of bricks.
    It's loud, and heavy, but it hits hard.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lewis and Clark took deer on their expedition with one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

Also used as a military rifle, issued to Austrian troops. Plenty powerful enough.

Thanks for linking that! That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread, but I was too lazy to go look for info on it. :):
    They also impressed a lot of the natives that they encountered along their trek with it too.

Top Bottom