• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Big aftermarket off road bumpers are a great thing to add to your truck/jeep. They can protect your vehicle, and even you from damage or injury in an impact with objects, other vehicles, or wildlife. Big bumpers help in a crash too...

I had a "Ranch Hand" bumper on my F250. It took out a deer with zero damage to truck. However, I wanted to mount a winch, so a couple years later I sold it (to an INGO member) and changed it to a Road Armor bumper.

Then, before I could get the winch, that one got tested big time. I had a seizure coming home from a VA appointment about 3 years back. took out a telephone pole, and went into a seed company warehouse where the truck was buried in tons of soybeans. They did take me to the hospital, but just to check me out from having the seizure. I would have been hurt pretty bad without that big bumper.

J3h0Kf1.jpg

Snapped the telephone pole like a twig.

4xuV8U2.jpg

Powerlines came down and cut off my camper shell.

84RCl99.jpg

Seed company about a mile down the road.

iOtKPea.jpg

Bumper survived. (saving me as well)

Nw58N0C.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’d like to add Road Armor bumpers to my Ram but the price tag has kept me from doing it thus far. Maybe someday....

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Is that you behind the wheel? Sorry I couldn't resist.
    25a3c79b-c1cd-4dc2-83e5-4fbec4c575a2

Yeah. I woke up when I was inside the warehouse. They pulled the truck out with the fire truck and got me out through the front door. Brandy (my service dog) had climbed out into the bed of the truck through the broken back window so they took her, and my wife showed up and took her. Brandy wasn't yet fully trained at the time, and didn't alert me to the seizure, but she did allow the paramedics to handle her. That bumper did its job though...

res04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I have a CBI bumper on my 2006 4runner. Finally hit a doe last November. Money well spent. It more than payed for itself.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I have a big ole ranch hand bumper on my ram 3500 but as luck would have it I have hit deer with 2 other vehicles. I think the deer fear my bumper.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Maybe I am the only one thinking this, but I am going to say it anyway.

I don't think that big, sturdy bumper was good in this instance. The truck should have stopped at the utility pole. Instead, an unconscious person was able to drive the truck another mile and crash into a building. It's fortunate that more people weren't injured.

In a collision, you want the front end of the vehicle to crunch up: that's how the energy is absorbed. If it doesn't go into smashing the vehicle, it has to go somewhere else: into the passengers and/or into object(s) you hit. It was lucky that everything you hit this time was unoccupied.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I am also confused as to how that bumper helped the OP to survive the incident or minimized his injuries. I am sure it protected the steering box and drag link and low mounted engine accessories

Top Bottom