• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    After hunting whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, black bear, elk, and caribou I’d like to try a hunt for an exotic. Perhaps an outside chance, but I’m looking for a response from anyone who may have done a blackbuck hunt in Texas. I’d like to do a rifle or bow hunt in the near future and looking for info on locations, fees, success rate, etc.

Thanks in advance

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I haven't actually hunted blackbuck but I've looked into it quite a bit(also, I may be the only other person on here that knows what you are talking about). I've saw several small herds of blackbuck when i spent some time in the Hill Country around Kerrville and Fredericksburg. They're neat looking critters but even smaller than they look. They make pronghorn look large by comparison! They seemed to be particularly plentiful around Kerrville.

How do you want to hunt, stand/blind or spot and stalk? Budget? Fenced vs. free ranging?

Based on the research I did, there are 4 basic ways to hunt them: Fully guided(either high fence or free range), semi guided(typically high fence only), day leasing(typically free range) and public land drawn hunts.

Fully guided hunts are by the far the most expensive option (1-3 days for $2500-$3500) but have the highest success rate(usually approaching 100% if not out right guaranteed for rifle hunters). These will typically be spot or stalk hunts on either free range or high fenced properties.

Semi guided hunts are most typically found on high fenced properties and typically are archery only hunts conducted from stands/blinds over feeders. Prices are typically less than $1000 for 3 days and may or may not include food and lodging. Success rates are typically low, especially if you are targeting a specific species. You'll have to search pretty hard to find this option but it is possible.

Day leases are another possible option. Rates are typically a couple hundred dollars a day and up, with the better places commanding higher rates. Lodging is typically either not included or are included at a higher rate. These will typically be unfenced, unguided hunts with transient herds of animals that may or may not be present on any given day. Typically you will have the place to yourself during the days that you book but hunting pressure before you arrive may be pretty intense.

The last option is to start applying for Texas Public Land exotic hunts. This is by far the cheapest option(less than $200 for all permits) and can provide for a great hunting opportunity. The catch is that you will have to do your research to see which properties offer the opportunity at blackbuck and drawing odds are long(I've been applying for 15 years without success).

Were it me and it worked for my budget I would check out West Texas Hunts for a good hunt at a reasonable price. The owner goes by Muley Mike on some larger hunting forums and both he and his hunts have a very good reputation.

Top Bottom