• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Saw the use of a fawn bleet on Meateater. Specifically fawn terror call. One of my sits is a perfect spot for that. Be fun to try. Anyone try them? Brand recommendations? Needs to be nearly idiot-proof.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Saw the use of a fawn bleet on Meateater. Specifically fawn terror call. One of my sits is a perfect spot for that. Be fun to try. Anyone try them? Brand recommendations? Needs to be nearly idiot-proof.

I started using a Primos Can Call and an Extinguisher Grunt Tube last year. The latter is very easy to use and seemed to work for me. I didn't have any monster bucks come in, but it definitely attracted smaller ones.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Works real good for yotes. When I've used that call it also seems a very high percentage of times I'll get multiples come in. Usually I hunt alone so its difficult for me to engage multiple targets so rather than ejumacate the survivor(s) I only use it when hunting with a partner.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I started using a Primos Can Call and an Extinguisher Grunt Tube last year. The latter is very easy to use and seemed to work for me. I didn't have any monster bucks come in, but it definitely attracted smaller ones.
    I’ve had the same experience.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

The problem with the fawn distress call is that when it works any deer that responds will come in on high alert looking for danger. That can make it very tough to get a shot let alone a good shot. A standard doe or fawn bleat will work at least as well and probably better to bring deer in but won't have them on high alert when they do respond.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've had a lot of luck with doe/fawn bleats, in fact I've actually called in more bucks using them than grunt calls. I don't do much blind calling(ie. calling when I don't actually see a deer I want to shoot) any more because I don't want to educate a bunch of deer I'm not going to shoot but it can be really effective when the timing is right. The great thing about the bleat call is that it can work any time and will not spook any deer unlike more aggressive calls can.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    All I’ve ever gotten a call of any type to do I make a deer stop and look my direction before continuing on their way. I’ve never called one in blind calling and never turned one with targeted calling. This includes rattling. They just don’t seem to care where I hunt I guess.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    All I’ve ever gotten a call of any type to do I make a deer stop and look my direction before continuing on their way. I’ve never called one in blind calling and never turned one with targeted calling. This includes rattling. They just don’t seem to care where I hunt I guess.

I think time and place are critical especially on the more aggressive calls. At the right time and in the right place they can work well. Funny anecdote: I've rattled a fair amount over the years and had maybe one buck respond, while my father has on two separate occasions had bucks come charging in after smacking sticky Master locks closed on his climbing stands. A doe bleat won't always bring deer running but it does work sometimes and I'm pretty sure it at least doesn't alarm the deer when it doesn't bring them in.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've not seen any deer spook at any of the calls we've tried, they just don't seem interested enough to change direction. We don't get much interest with decoys either. I believe the deer population in an area has quite an affect on how they'll react.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've pretty much given up on decoys, I've had two mature bucks that likely would have given me a shot spook upon seeing my decoy and I couldn't get the 2.5 year old bucks to leave it alone.

Top Bottom